boiler venting into small loft tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have similar problem, water overflows into small f&e tank, about one bucket every 30 mins, is slightly rusty colored, have traditional system, hw cylinder 30+ years, pumped heating, vented system, radiators also mostly quite old (30+ years), heating works well, NOW MY PROBLEM - one plumber says there is a split in hwc, the other one says the system is just jammed up, needs power flushing, which one is right? pointless changing hwc though in course of that job some flushing out needs to be done anyway. Want to mention that tap water (hold and cold) are perfectly clear. I REALLY NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE, THIS DRIVES ME NUTS! Thanks to all who post a reply

Sponsored Links
If dirty water is coming out of the vent pipe into the small tank when the boiler is running, it is more likely a sludge and sediment problem. You can start by giving it a chemical clean with X400 or similar, drain it out and rinse after a couple of weeks. This is likely to help and is cheaper than a powerflush, but not as thorough.

If you had a split coil, the water level in the tank could rise and overflow, without coming up the vent pipe. Which is not what you are describing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back