Boiler & Water Service pipe replacement - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a 15 year old vaillant Combi boiler which has started to give up the ghost, it's a 22KW Output on the CH and a flow rate of 7LPM on the DHW. The heat it throws out on the CH is good but I want the flow on the DHW to be better so that we can have better showers and quicker bath fill up times. As part of the upgrade I am seeing what is needed to getter a better shower & Bath experience.

I have had the local water company round and found that we are getting about 12LPM currently through the mains @ 3Bar. They have tested the mains presure and flow at the mains stopcock in the street and it came back with a reading of 30LPM @3 Bar. I am considering replacing the water supply pipe into the house (as the orginal is shared, Lead and probably laid when the house was built 120 years ago so is probably all furred up).

I want to find out what people think is a good flow rate for showers so that i can spec up the correct size boiler as far as the DHW is concerned (The CH output will be better than is currently so that side is covered).

Also, if i do upgrade the water supply pipe and we get 30LPM in our cold mains do i look at a boiler which has say 14LPM for the DHW or is this overkill...

Your thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated, as this is all new to me!

Wayno.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, and I was getting the main replaced, I would be looking at an unvented hot water cylinder.
If you get 30lpm coming into the house, you will get very good shower performance. Even a high output combi will only give you about 18lpm.
assuming you have the space to accomadate an unvented cylinder.

Graham

spot on. Or anouther alternativeis to fittwo boilers having both linked togeather for probably less than fitting a unvented cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back