Missing hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler that appears to be functioning properly save for one thing. The hot water (DHW) is not getting as hot as it should be.

If I measure the gas flow at the mains I see it uses:
81 cubic feet per minute on both central heating (CH) and DHW.

According to the spec, CH should be consuming 90, and DHW 120 cu.ft/min.

The gas pipe starts out as 1 inch, and ends up as 7/8" where it enters the boiler. Somewhere hidden in between, it changes.

I read that even 3/4" pipes should allow 120 cu.ft /min to flow through up to 30 feet of pipe, so I am of the opinion that the pipework is fat enough.

Where should I look next for the blockage? I am wondering if the mains supply is itself inadequate, or if the gas control valve is strangling the supply or perhaps an injector is partially blocked.

Thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
If your a diy'er please read forum rules on DIY gas advice. If your an engineer join the combustion chamber section of the forum where you will get all the advice you could ask for :D

I turned on 11kW of burners on the gas hob, while the DHW was on, and measured a total flow rate of 116 cu.ft/min at mains.

So that at least is not the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back