Boiler wont fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, our boiler has decided not to work.

It is an Ideal Classic and it was installed in 1992/93.

When you switch on the heating or hot water the boiler clicks but dosn't fire up and the pump starts running

I have been up in our airing cupboard and i don't know if the problem might be with my mid position valve/actuator.

It is an ACL Drayton (Invensys) MA1/679-3 Mid-Position Motorised Valve. I put it in in october last year as the old valve had sized solid.

The reason i wonder if it is the actuator is that it is warm to the touch. The valve itself is cold, it is just the actuator that is warm. Is this normal?

When selecting hot water/heat the valve moves freely so it isn't jammed again. I am just concerned as to why it is warm. I am assuming that there are microswitches or something in there as i can also hear a click when selecting water/ heat etc..

To get a replacemnt actuator is going to cost about £30 but before i go and order one i would value someones opinion.

Regards

Sponsored Links
the valve will be warm if its being held in it last position say heating
cause the motor inside will stll be working.

check for live on the orange in the connector block for live when heating on.
if you say your pump is running i would say the fault is the boiler end.
check your getting a live at the boiler.

is the fan on the boiler running ?

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I was worried that the actuator was going to blow up on me as it was warm so you have out my mind at rest on that one.

I can't check if there is a live tonight on the connector block as the kids are in bed and i wouldn't know where to look to find the live on the bolier.

No there is nothing running on the boiler, it just clicks when you ask for heat/ water

Sponsored Links
If the boiler ckicks then it sounds as if the actuator is ok and the boiler is receiving power.

To confirm this, test the main terminal block inside the bottom of the boiler for 240VAC whilst there is a demand for heat.

As said previously, can you hear the fan spin? If not check for 240VAC at the fan terminals. If it is there the fan needs replacing.

Very common on classics.

Hi,

just in case any of you were losing sleep over this i have had it sorted.

It was the pcb.

My plumber guy said that cost £162.23 and there was £60 labour on top of that so £222.23 but he rounded it down to £220

Plus, as a bonus he left me the old pcb.

I expect that I would have charged you £84 diagnostic fee and about £100 for the PCB!

Funny how you would probably first say that your fellow was cheaper!

Tony

I don't think his prices are far out. I would have been about £20 cheaper on the pcb, Parts Center retail.

The £162.23 was including vat.

He originally wanted £80 for labour but knocked it down £20 for cash

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I was worried that the actuator was going to blow up on me as it was warm so you have out my mind at rest on that one.

I can't check if there is a live tonight on the connector block as the kids are in bed and i wouldn't know where to look to find the live on the bolier.

No there is nothing running on the boiler, it just clicks when you ask for heat/ water

Is the boiler clicking or the actuator in the airing cupboard trying to click over to heating??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back