boiler won't re start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. my central heating is playing up. I have a free standing, trianco oil fired boiler sited outside the house. Once the hot water reaches temperature the boiler switches off rather than diverting the heat to the central heating system. Having switched off the boiler does not come back on again, despite hot water and radiators been cold, unless the "limit- stat" button, within the boiler casing is pressed manually. any suggesting why it doing this and how to fix it and is its safe to use it, thanks

Sponsored Links
The central heating pump is running continuously, therefore the water is still circulating even though it is cold.

is your pump within the boiler housing, have you checked for any exposed frozen pipes. if the boiler goes to over heat lock out, it can only mean the water in the boiler isnt going anywhere when heating is on.

Sponsored Links
The pump is in the loft. Have checked for frozen pipes. Could it be an air lock? If so what would cause it and what should I do?

How would I know if the motorized valve is faulty? would that cause the boiler to switch off and not come back on even though the hot water has been run off?

Do you have motorised valves? Either 1x 3 port or 2x 2 port? It may be that the valve is not opening to allow the water to the heating circuit.

As far as I know we have a 3 port divert valve? I believe that It sends heat first to the hot water and then to the radiators but not both at once.

Not too sure on workings of diverter valves, i'd have thought a mid position would be more appropriate in this situation. This then gives you option of either or both HW and CH. If its a mid position then a fault could block the flow of water to the CH. Moving lever to manual will 'wedge' the valve open, if this solves the problem then valve is duff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back