Boiler won't turn on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm having a problem with my boiler. It won't turn on!

It is a storage boiler - and the element unit was replaced by an "expert" at the beginning of the year. Now its broken already!

I've disconnected it from the mains and I've used my continuity tester to try and located the problem. I think its this device which says 'LC T24' on it - it has two pins connected on the live circuit and a weird black pin that seems to move but does not do anything (It doesn't click, just seems a bit loose). What does this thing do? Can I fix it easily, or perhaps buy one of these and replace it myself?

My old boiler element had a trip reset button - but on this unit there doesn't seem to be anything like this.

Also for reference I've tested the following on my continuity tester and they all conduct electricity just fine:
- The heating element
- The thermostat with an adjustment for what temperature to turn on/off.

My unit has a sticker which could be a product Id: D631 966
The live wire first goes to the termostat, then to this weird LC T24 device and then to the element. All parts conduct electricity except for the LC T24 device.

Any advice?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
The weird device is an overheat stat.

Press the reset button it which is in between the terminals.

Lower the thermostat setting.

In future call it a hot water cylinder!

Tony

Many Thanks! That fixed it! The black button on the overheat stat was very loose and not very button like - but I pressed it hard (I'm sure I tried this before) and heard a click. I knew instantly that had fixed it when I tested for continuity!

My next question is quite important - why did it trip after 7 months of use? My previous boiler tripped a lot until something fused and it needed the replacement. Could it be because the thermostat temp was too high? (The boiler technician left it on max heat - but I have turned it down now to something more reasonable). What causes this device to trip?

Cheers

(PS. There is nothing sweeter than the sound of one's boiler turning on)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back