boiler "working too hard" to get water temp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had an engineer round to install a smart meter and while he was there he turned toe hot water on to ensure the smart meter was functioning.

He mentioned that it is worth getting someone to look at my boiler because it was working way to hard to get water to temperature.

At the max, the boiler was saying the water temperature was 74 degrees celcius, however i could touch it and it certainly was not that hot. probably 50 degrees.

What needs doing to solve this problem?

I have a baxi combi boiler

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your and most other combi boilers will invariably work flat out to heat the hot water up to try and get to its design output temp, size (KW) of boiler and draw off volume dependent.

The temperature you will be seeing will normally be the internal heating water temperature, not the actual hot water output temperature. Never a bad idea to get the boiler serviced, if it hasn't been in the last year, and ask your engineer to check the HW output.

Your and most other combi boilers will invariably work flat out to heat the hot water up to try and get to its design output temp, size (KW) of boiler and draw off volume dependent.

The temperature you will be seeing will normally be the internal heating water temperature, not the actual hot water output temperature. Never a bad idea to get the boiler serviced, if it hasn't been in the last year, and ask your engineer to check the HW output.

thanks for the reply. I found out today it has been 8 years since the previous owner did anything with it. basically its not been serviced since installed!! :eek:

thinking of getting boiler insurance with a free service annually. Do they tend to do a thorough service with these policies - ie. am i wasting money paying monthly?

what will the service usually involve?

thinking of getting boiler insurance with a free service annually
It is not free...They will not service it..They will stick a Gas Analyser in the flue and be gone in about 5 minutes..If your insurance is more than £200 I would say forget it...What boiler and how old is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
thinking of getting boiler insurance with a free service annually. Do they tend to do a thorough service with these policies - ie. am i wasting money paying monthly?
Like everything,it is not easy and there are many variables..Some people like insurance for peace of mind.Like all insurance it is easy to see it as a waste of money if it is not used.Most combi boilers now come with 5/7/10 years parts and labour warranty..I find some boilers,especially Ideal.parts are so expensive ,it is better for the customer to call out the manufacturers engineer to repair and guarantee for a fixed price of about £270.

Do they tend to do a thorough service with these policies
Servicing of boilers is a v contentious issue.It is not like a car or aeroplane where major strip downs are needed,some here will tell you different. Some seem to insist on stripping perfectly functioning boilers down just to inspect them then charge you fortunes for labour gaskets etc...On many boilers there is so much plastic,stripping them causes more issues.

I find in general baxi boilers v reliable and easy to work on and would suggest not taking insurance out.

If you are unsure I would suggest find a recommended/reliable engineer, that knows BAXI's, to service and look after your boiler. (s)he should be able to monitor and advise if and when it could start to get expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back