Boilermate 3 again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone is coming round later to look at the Boilermate 3 to see if it needs some attention and put my mind at rest. I'm not convinced he is an expert on bm's and as I still haven't been able to find an instruction manual for it I thought I'd come back here for some advice.

1) The hot water is scalding and I'd really like it to be turned down (and reduce gas consumption). From my last post it sounds like the store temp can be adjusted but there is a risk of failure if the mixing valve is stuck. Someone else said the temp is factory-set and hence unadjustable. I cant see the mixing valve if it is there, where is it?

2) The thumping sound, which could be a pump cycling on and off every 1-2 seconds. It doesnt always do this - when it isnt making this noise and I turn the hot tap on it usually starts making the noise again. Is this normal? Is replacing a pcb likely to cure it or is it more likely a stuck valve or related to sludge build-up?

3) The radiators came on late one evening last week after the timer had gone off for the night. Is this likely to be a pcb fault on the bm3? What pcb or pcbs are fitted to the bm3?

I took the front cover off the bm3 last night to see what led's were lit. At the time the left-hand green led and orange store led were flashing. A red led was also flashing - is this the fault led? I couldnt see the fault diagnostic button. Thats why I'm annoyed I cant find a manual anywhere for it. There might be nothing wrong and I'm worrying for no reason. Maybe in 1-2 years I'll fit a combi boiler but for now I want the bm3 and suprima 30 to work and not worry.

Thanks again and sorry for trawling over any old ground.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a boilermate 2000? If so these use a plate heat exchanger as in a combi and not a mixing valve.

I don't think there are many boilermate 'experts' about.

Just to clarify has yours 3 pumps and a plate heat exchanger visible when you remove front cover?

No its a BM3.

The guy had a look and couldnt find anything wrong so I'll take his word for now. The thumping noise he believes is coming from a transformer, not a pump as I thought. A red led on the upper pcb (not the red fault led no.14) flickers on while it makes this thumping sound - there are some instructions on the inside of the front cover and the guy has some instructions which he will lend me to photocopy.

I'm sure once I understand the BM3 better it wont cause much worry.

Thanks for reading.

The radiators are staying on again after the timer has gone off. Just had a bath so the bm3 is heating up the stored water but it is being circulated through the radiators when it shouldnt be.

What is the problem?

Sponsored Links
Well the heating pump is staying on when not expected.

We cannot tell you exactly whats wrong but the heat pump wiring and timeclock are prime suspects.

The flashing light and "thumping" transformer imply a rapidly intermittent supply connection in either the neurtral or live. Check all connections in the control circuit particularly on the supply side.

Tony

If it's a bm3 there is a white lead which is the hot water sensor,(wet pocket) that's the first thing to try, if not the pump speed controller pcb, this varies the pump speed to keep the hot water about 57 degrees. You can if you feel comfortable remove the cover to the dhw pump and test to see if the voltage to the pump varies. you then need to clear the faults on the main pcb and recommission the bm3 as per instuctions which you don't have.

Recommission bm3.
Set boiler stat to maximum.
Green lLED's 1-10 indicate store temp.
If 1 is flashing it's no hot enough,
if 10 is flashing it's to hot
if red 14 is on with some green LED's this indicates fault

Orange LED 11
On = demand for heating from prog and r/s
Flashing, as above plus boiler firing

Orange LED12
On store statified, prog if fitted in time h/w mode
Flashing, demand forh/w and boiler firing

Orange LED13
On hot tap open

Red LED14
Flashing = set up mode
On with green LED 2-9 system fault

Re-Commissioning

Boiler at max
Heating off
H/W on
Leave to heat up Green LED rise, Orange 12 flashing
Once satisfied Orange 12 stops flashing but stay on
boiler switches off
Draw off water, so boiler fires
Press -, + and 'set' at same time until red 14 flashes
When the boiler stops firing press - and + until Red 14 goes off
That's it good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back