boilers in tandem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, quoting for a job in a house converted into 12 flats.
At present the boiler is an ideal istor,i think its 30 kw with about 100 litres of stored hot water from unvented cylinder.
I was thinking of fitting 2 baxi solo 30kw boilers running 2 megaflo 250 ltr unvented cylinders and 20 rads totalling 17 kw in total.
There are 12 mixer showers,hand basins and sinks to supply.
Not had much feedback from any suppliers,i work for a social housing firm and they had a quote for a commercial system for 8k , but they were only fitting a 40kw boiler and havent been forthcoming wuth a written quote !!
I have got this priced at 4k for the firm, any advice would be appreciated guys.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Won't it need independant metering for billing purposes ?.

IMHO..each flat requires its own system.

All sorts of problems with what you are thinking of doing.

How will individual usage be calculated.

Asking for trouble me thinks.

12 flats, 20 rads? less than 2 each? do you mean flats or bedsits? cos bedsits have a shared system and shared bills...

your plans sound of some rathe illegal things going on.
I would not recommend you are doing diy on a commercial project. Last thing I heard was £5000 fine per offense of GSIUR. Times 12, does that make 60 grand?

£4000 for two boilers and two megaflos??

This sounds like an HMO -house in multiple occupation. Each room has rudimentary services and a shared kitchen. They have to have a fire alarm system and escape lighting.

There is no reason why the 40kW boiler originally proposed shouldn't work, if it had a 30kW before!

The two Megaflos will only work if you have enough water, this sort of system may need either a tank, accumulator or pumped HW.

Its not illegal, dodgy or anything else, these people are asylum seekers who live in 1 and 2 bed flats, they dont pay bills, its all above board, i know my regs,all rads have trv,s , there are fire alarms and the whole lot, it gets inspected by government all the time.
The previous 30 kw boiler is less than a year old and ideal boilers wont touch it as its grossly undersized, and was fitted by foreign plumbers, we did tell them lol,so now we are doing it ourselves.

lagunaglen wrote

these people are asylum seekers who live in 1 and 2 bed flats, they dont pay bills

All funded by the tax payer no doubt.
Would you happen to know any country in the world where one could claim assylum and not have to pay any bills as it seems very attractive.
I could always claim I would be persecuted in my home country (UK) by knife/gun weilding thugs in order not to be deported back.

I ve been looking into similar idea spoke to worcester they advised not to link two biolers together but commercal side which is buderus have just the bioler 800 60 kw you will need to fit separate ex vessel though.

http://www.buderus-commercial.co.uk/enhanced-capital-allowance-scheme-eca

Yon can link as many as you like, normally via a low loss header.

Our Buderus rep is bang on, try Broag and Hoval other options.Keston actually manufacture a modular boiler arrangement complete with cylinder, but we all have our own opinions about Keston.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back