Boilers - the workings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do most conventional boilers have a multfunctional gas valve which includes a solenoid valve, thermoelectric valve and thermocouple? which which allows gas to to the main burner?

Also do they also have a flame superision device which prevents gas to the main burner if the flame goes out for any reason?

i am trying to learn and understand boilers a bit and just wanted to know if i was right or not :)

thanks for any help guys...

Sponsored Links
do most conventional boilers have a multfunctional gas valve which includes a solenoid valve, thermoelectric valve and thermocouple? which which allows gas to to the main burner?

Also do they also have a flame superision device which prevents gas to the main burner if the flame goes out for any reason?

i am trying to learn and understand boilers a bit and just wanted to know if i was right or not :)

thanks for any help guys...

Yes.

namsag - from what i was reading the thermocouple was different to the flame supervision device which prevents gas flow to the main burner.

Sponsored Links
New boilers dont use thermocouples, they use automatic ignition.
Boiler goes through a sequence,
genrally ::

PUMP RUNS > FAN RUNS > AIR PRESURE SWITCH PROVES > GAS VALVE OPENS > IGNITION > IGNITION PROVES.

Very basicly thats thats it.

thanks possum_jenkins.

from a baxi boiler manual i was reading it has an electrode kit (spark & sensing) and i was trying to confirm wheteher this was the flame supervision device which preveted gas from getting to the burner if the flame went out!

nah that'll be an automatic ignition boiler, similar idea to a thermocouple in that a flame sensing device is in a flame to keep the gas on, however this will be in the main flame as opposed to a pilot flame. As i said this is a very basic analysis.

Get yourself how to repair combination boilers, i forget the author but its a good read if you are new to the game. Runs through componants you need to know about, genrall operating sequence, how to use a multimeter etcetc.

Just a footnote to stop me from being shot down, if your not corgi ( which i assume you are not !) I wouldnt advise carrying out any repairs.

thanks possum_jenkins: i have actually seen that book, it's by john reginald. i read the central heating book by him and it was very good.

i will not be touching anything inside my boiler or anyone's boiler, i am just intersted in how they operate and want to learn.

thanks again for your help

possum_jenkins";p="976942 said:
nah that'll be an automatic ignition boiler, similar idea to a thermocouple in that a flame sensing device is in a flame to keep the gas on, however this will be in the main flame as opposed to a pilot flame. - yep that's what i was trying to say, it keeps the gas on, and if the gas to the main burner goes out (eg pilot goes out, etc) it turns it off.

thanks possum_jenkins.

from a baxi boiler manual i was reading it has an electrode kit (spark & sensing) and i was trying to confirm wheteher this was the flame supervision device which preveted gas from getting to the burner if the flame went out!

what relevance is this to your original question.

sorry never mind.

When people speak about conventional boilers they would not be talking about an automatic ignition condensing boiler.
Conventional boiler would be old back boiler /floor standing or room sealed with permenant pilots

namsag you are right there - the baxi solo he is a condensing. coneventional are not condensing and also many if not nearly all have permanent pilots! sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back