boiling immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new tenant moved in to a rented house in my road today, within a few hours she had hot water through the ceiling from the loft. Another neighbour who she'd already met came to get us (I'm a central heating man). When we got there the ceiling was already down, someone was saying a tank burst in the loft, which I was doubtful of as normally I find it's burst pipes. I went up in the loft to find it was like a sauna. I climbed over to the tanks and found that the vent from the hot water cylinder was scalding and being badly installed was hanging outside of the cold water storage tank.

Having just moved in the tenant didn't know how the central heating worked so flicked on the immersion because it had a label stuck on it to turn it on for hot water. It's an old immersion heater without an overheat cut off so boiled the cylinder, hence causing all that trouble. She'd turned it all off when it started leaking through the ceiling and the water had stopped.

I went home and told her come and get me if needed as she was waiting for the landlord to get back in contact and arrange for his plumber to fix it. A while later another neighbour informed me that she had been put up elsewhere and the landlord had been with a plumber. His solution is to replace the ball valve (no idea why) and reroute the vent pipe in to the tank like it's meant to be but no mention of replacing the lethal immersion heater.

When I see the neighbour I'll ask her about it to see if that's true and in case it is, what i want to know is, is it illegal for the landlord to leave the knowlingly faulty immersion heater all connected there? It's dangerous as that water can get so hot it could cause serious injury or even death.

Sponsored Links
don't know about illegal but stupid knowing that it's already overheated once.
how do you know its all still connected and the fuse out of the fcu etc hasn't been pulled ?

The tenant didn't want me adjusting or altering anything so the landlord would see it all as it is. I left it all turned off at the fusebox due to water in the lights. I just identified the problem, so that she had an idea of what the landlord and his plumber need to check and repair. All I want to do is make sure the fault is remedied.

I know it was the immersion heater as the boiler is a flamingo that hasn't been on for a few months (empty house), no pilot light and she didn't even know where the clock was. The lady turned the immersion switch on as there was no hot water and within a few hours scalding hot water came through the ceiling.

landlords have a DUTY OF CARE. I would say that if someone was hurt they would be in serious doo doo

Sponsored Links
is it illegal for the landlord to leave the knowlingly faulty immersion heater all connected there
Yup, though plod wouldn't be interested.
Landlord and Tenant Act.
HASAWA too, if you're doing work and knowingly leave something dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back