Immersion heater Overheating..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner's in rented accomodation and recently got a massive (3x) her normal heating bill come in.. Its ecomony 7 style storage heaters with an immersion that runs at night.

Had a look around and the water is scalding hot coming from the taps so looks like the thermostat has failed.

Had the landlord come round who tried to say thats how this heater worked etc and went on a bit but eventually agreed to get a plumber out.

Two questions though. The immersion was (apparently) fitted maybe 3 - 4 years ago but I was reading that after april 2004 all immersions had to be fitted with a cut off was this made law or just a recomdation.

Secondly and I think I know the answer I stated its most likely the thermostat to the landlord he said there is no thermostat in this immersion heater is that possible ? Its an external one i.e. not one that goes in the top.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is an electrical immersion heater it will have it's own rod type stat !

due to a few incidents all , immersions today are fitted with a manual re-settable over heat stat

older immersions would not have them , wether it is retrospective to fit them I am not sure , but in rented accomadation I would suggest that the landlord would be wise to install them , he may well have an obligation to do so ????

Have you considered the possibility of a timeswitch failure, leaving all the heating, with all thermostats working correctly, running 24/7?

If you lift the lid off of the immersion heater (Power turned off first please - We can't say it won't be live in there at the moment!) you should see the top of the internal thermostat with a small adjustment screw for the hot water temperature, and the cutout reset (if fitted)

External thermostats clamped to the side of the cylinder are typically used to control central heating boilers. They are not usually designed to switch heavy loads such as immersion heaters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back