immersion heater thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because of a recent accident with immersion heater overheating where a child died ,I asked a plummer to check my immersion heater's thermostat as it is pre 2000 for safety. He does not want to fit a new heating rod with safety cut out for some reason and said that even after checking it he can not quarantee it will not overheat. The immersion seems ok , the coroner said all old pre 2004 immersion heaters should be checked for safety and a new thermostat fitted.
Can someone tell me why the plumber does not want to fix the immersion heater with this safety feature ,and is it necessary ,I know nothing about immersion heaters.
Thanks .

Sponsored Links
nalle59 said:
Can someone tell me why the plumber does not want to fix the immersion heater with this safety feature
No - only the plumber who doesn't want to fit a new thermostat can tell you the answer to that one.

...and is it necessary, I know nothing about immersion heaters.
Get an electrician, or an electrically competent friend or family member, to change the thermostat. Get the plumber to check that the cistern in the loft is properly supported and installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back