immersion heater not hot enough to have a proper bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 27inch pullin immersion heater in the hw tank, but its not getting hot towards to the bottom of the tank, the thermostat setting is on the last + adjustment, anyone had this problem. Could I fit a 36inch immersion heater, its only the standard hw tank?
Rgds
tinpan

Sponsored Links
Thermostat out of calibration/knackered or element so scaled up and not being very efficient.
Try replacing therostat first, if not that, then try and replace whole thing.

do you mean the water is fully hot, but not enough of it? What are the dimensions of your cylinder?

Or do you mean the water is not up to temp even at the top?
Try a thermometer in the water from the hot tap and compare that to the temp set by the dial.

Good idea to change the thermostat for a new one. Make sure it is the max length that fits the heater tube.

Will do what u suggest. The cylinder is aprox 4 foot high by 18" diameter.Yes not enough of hot water for an adult bath, only 4" of water before it starts to run tepid.The dial does not show water temperature, just + and - (plus and minus) with an arrow, a bit naff don't u think!
Rgds
tinpan

Sponsored Links
I suppose it is not a dual-element heater with a short "sink" and a long "bath" element?

Its probably only a 27" element.

Practically speaking that will be turned off by the thermostat before the full 27" depth has heated because it gets heated more at the top.

Obviously a 36" element will be that much better.

Its not a correct usage of an immersion heater fitted at the top for full time electric heating. They are designed as an emergency backup for a boiler heated system.

A proper electric cylinder has a short element at the base of the cylinder screwed into the side.

Tony

Can see the logic there, but theres thousands of houses around me that were built with top mounted 3Kw Immersions as the only source of heat period ..... Unless you count the oven in tha kitchen :D

Mr Council man modernised them all in the early 70's with one gas fire to the lounge ........ Damn chilly if ya asks me :eek:

Has it ever been OK before ? i.e.is it a fault or has the wrong length immersion heater been fitted by someone ?

They were a cheap and easy method often used.

But those were the days of ONE bath a week on a Tuesday with no more than 4" depth of water in the bath.

When I went to school there was a coal fire in the back room heating the hot water with a back boiler and I was allowed an electric fire for a few minutes to dress in front of.

But we were more hardy in those days even though the weather was colder. We commonly had snow on the ground for weeks on end.

I had bedroom window open all last night too are have not seriously used any central heating yet this year.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back