Bolts for ring beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys looking for some advice on fixing a steel ring beam to the top course of brick.

Does anyone know what kind of bolts to use and which torque to tighten them to? Don't have anything on the engineers drawings.

It's a purely aesthetic ring beam non structural so just needing something to get a fixing into the brick

I know it's a pretty vague question waiting on woody jumping in two feet allready

I've attached the drawings might be of some help

Attachments

• IMG_1890.PNG
    IMG_1890.PNG
    81 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1891.PNG
    IMG_1891.PNG
    89.1 KB · Views: 258
Sponsored Links
It looks to be a poor design if you are fixing steel beams to the top of a wall?

Not disputing that tony.

It's also to be fixed to the roof trusses apparently :confused:

Can you reccomend a bolt that would do the job?

It says fixing technique to be confirmed. Is an engineer supposed to be confirming that :?:
It's also to be fixed to the roof trusses apparently :confused:
or more likely the roof trusses fixed to a timber wall plate sitting on top of the ring beam and tied down with holding down straps to the wall :?: Can't really tell from the drawings, your designer needs to provide more details.

Sponsored Links
It says fixing technique to be confirmed. Is an engineer supposed to be confirming that :?:
or more likely the roof trusses fixed to a timber wall plate sitting on top of the ring beam and tied down with holding down straps to the wall :?: Can't really tell from the drawings, your designer needs to provide more details.

Aye something along those lines regarding the roof trusses I'm leaving that to the joiner he's meant to be sorting that out.

There's a lot of shrugging shoulders on this one believe me I wouldn't even bother to go to this hassle if I wasn't mates with the couple who are getting the work done.

What I have is this beam which I have been asked to fix to the top of the brick by the building company I'm subbying for just now.

It's got 10mm holes drilled every 1000mm. Just wondering what kind of bolt would do the job without bursting the brick.

They are a clay brick with a frog so hopefully should drill ok.

Cheers for yer replys (y)

Resin fixings don't expand to risk bursting the brick but the thing is what do you achieve by fixing to a top course of bricks :?::!:

Resin fixings don't expand to risk bursting the brick but the thing is what do you achieve by fixing to a top course of bricks :?::!:

Thanks again for yer time to reply!

I'm just following instructions
And I've been asked to bolt it as it all ready came pre drilled and is to be bolted to the top course of brick (architect) again :censored:.

I'm sure I'm right in saying it's getting a resin seal aswel which I'm sure will more than be adequate oh and it's now welded aswel. :ROFLMAO:

Just looking to see if there are bolts that would do a job without splitting the brick.

Thanks again for yer time to reply!

I'm just following instructions
And I've been asked to bolt it as it all ready came pre drilled and is to be bolted to the top course of brick (architect) again :censored:.

I'm sure I'm right in saying it's getting a resin seal aswel which I'm sure will more than be adequate oh and it's now welded aswel. :ROFLMAO:

Just looking to see if there are bolts that would do a job without splitting the brick.
If you are drilling at or near the top course of brickwork, it's likely that the bricks will come loose. And even if they stayed firm,
expanding bolts are likely to split the bricks because there's no weight above. Use resin-fixed threaded bar if you must.
But that apart, it seems an odd aesthetic to be fixing a steel beam up there.

Thanks for the advice tony I'll give that a go rather than try to bolt it.

Aye the full build is odd

Awkward for the sake of it

Attachments

• 16_Occupied_03.jpg
    16_Occupied_03.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 215

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back