Loose bolts on new steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a building firm who I've employed to build me an extension where they've done the external construction and I'll be doing the rest.

I'm now pink boarding the steel beams and came across five loose bolts on beams/columns which are supporting the main structure of the house. The beams are welded on each joint to their columns.

I spoke to the builder and they can't get nobody out until after Easter which holds a load of work up. They instead suggested I tighten the bolts with an adjustable wrench.

Not happy about this response, and actually p*ssed off. I can do it but not taking liability for a job which should be done and verified by them. Plus, any liability insurance would be questionable should the structure collapse and I'd tampered with the work for which I'm not qualified to do.

The builder also said that the beams had passed, probably by the building inspector.

Any feedback would be great.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the drawings from the SE, the torque for the bolts should be specified. Torque wrenches- Machine Mart if you don't already have one.

Oh hang on...are these bolts actually doing anything or were they temporary to stop the structure flopping around til the joints were welded? Yes pics please, you may be fretting about nowt

Sponsored Links
I've a building firm who I've employed to build me an extension where they've done the external construction and I'll be doing the rest.
So far so good...

should the structure collapse and I'd tampered with the work for which I'm not qualified to do.
Like fire cladding a beam to prevent heat damage and collapse?

You think yourself qualified to carry out building reg's compliant work to one part of the steel beam but not the other?

As Woody said, just tighten them up. My guess is that additional torque on some of the bolts has rendered others not so tight, that were tight previously.

If memory serves me right, the correct torque for 8.8 bolts is a 900mm scaffold tube and a medium size builder.

Provided the bolts do not have load indicating washers that require a set of feeler gauges to verify torque then tighten them up and carry on, but what you describe should not require such complex joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back