Plasterboarding a steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a steel beam that is within my first floor structure. The beam is actually bolted to two steel posts. So the beam disent sit on the wall. The steel posts sit on pad stones on the ground. The beam itself is within the floor and the joist sit within it. The idea being that I get a flush ceiling.

My question is how do I afix plasterboard to the steel? I understand I've either got to use double plasterboard or the fireproof pink paper faced plasterboard for building regs. I can cover the beam itself easy as I can just screw into the timber floor joists either side of it but where I'm stuck is how to cover the steel posts with plasterboard and box them in?
net]207861/73471_99942298.jpg[/net]

Sponsored Links
Yes I had watched that video, my beam is actually within the floor. It's the steel columns that run vertically as in the pic I'm trying to find a solution for.

I guess I either build a wooden frame around it, I've briefly googled something about steel clips to create a frame around the column or could I just use an adhesive to stick plasterboards directly to the steel column?

Sponsored Links
You've beat me to it! I was going to say it was a good vid but wouldn't help in plasterboarding a hollow-section column.

As you say, best you could do is to build a thin framework off the wall and screw the boards to that. Not sure if adhesive would be acceptable.
Good luck with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back