Bonding guttering/Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Firstly im no roofer but this week our neighbours have had a new roof fitted and the roofers unknowingly to us have fitted a bonding gutter, they have been on our roof removed some tiles to fit felting and the bonding gutter. Legally how do we stand we had no idea about this it was just when we saw the job on the roof looks awful on old cottages tbh. The guttering is not straight and looks like a few of our tiles are not sitting correctly now! The obviously replaced the neighbouring copping stone and they aren’t even straight! Took the a day and a half to do both sides which amazed me. Thanks for looking/helping.

Attachments

• 44304294-207A-4862-9586-238ED5C6FC1B.jpeg
    44304294-207A-4862-9586-238ED5C6FC1B.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 254
  • 1D186C81-C833-4D07-B87B-0328A2494685.jpeg
    1D186C81-C833-4D07-B87B-0328A2494685.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 213
Sponsored Links
They’ve used a different tile profile.

I don’t know if the same ones are still available - that would’ve been better.

anyway the chimney flashing and cr@p ridge tile show it’s a cowboy job not done by professional roofers.

Don’t be surprised if the roof leaks at the bonding gutter or around the chimney

Yes different tiles they match the cottage at the other side! I totally agree with your comments I have asked them to come back (through my neighbour) and put right but we’ll see. I’m sure if it was done correctly it wouldn’t be such an eye sore!

The bonding gutter seems to stop a tile before the gutter - I’m not sure that’s correct.

Sponsored Links
Its a very bad job:
1. it will leak - the bonding gutter should extend 40mm over the fascia gutter.
2. by reason of not being located central over the party wall it will cause PWA issues for you on any mortgage survey.

3. there could be fire reg issues above the party wall.
4. incorrect lead flashing
5. cocked up tiles.
6. there must be four bonding gutters, back and front, on your roof. A day & a half?
7. if its that bad on top whats it like below the tiles?
8. Experience & very careful detailing is needed for bonding gutters.

If they return then you will need your experienced roofer observing what & how they go about the job.

1. it will leak - the bonding gutter should extend 40mm over the fascia gutter.

Not debating the quality of the job but if there is a bellcast at the bottom the bonding gutter won't sit properly. We usually fit a lead saddle.

Doubt they have.

I'm just asking but whats with the "bellcast"?

"a lead saddle" - do you mean a lead soaker? A soaker would pick up the last bit - the gap between the end of the bonding gutter and the fascia gutter - but its best practice to continue the bonding gutter. Bonding gutter comes in 3m lengths, so i estimate that one full length would have done the trick.

Thanks so much for your replies they are all very helpful. My neighbour is waiting for the ‘cowboys’ to get back to him, thank goodness he’s not paid them yet!

I'm just asking but whats with the "bellcast"?

"a lead saddle" - do you mean a lead soaker? A soaker would pick up the last bit - the gap between the end of the bonding gutter and the fascia gutter - but its best practice to continue the bonding gutter. Bonding gutter comes in 3m lengths, so i estimate that one full length would have done the trick.

Bellcast - change in angle at the eaves.
Gets called a saddle in my area

If possible yes, but a bellcast would change that.

Why would a soaker be called a saddle - then what do you call a saddle: a soaker?

There's no need to "change the angle" - the bonding gutter runs down following the roof angle to discharge over the fascia gutter.

Why would a soaker be called a saddle - then what do you call a saddle: a soaker?

There's no need to "change the angle" - the bonding gutter runs down following the roof angle to discharge over the fascia gutter.

The angle at the bottom of the roof can change as stated previously, commonly known as a bellcast in my area as stated previously also. If the change is significant then the bonding gutter wont be able to go directly into the gutter.

We tend to call soakers, soakers funnily enough but they only get used at abutments.

It's called what it's called. **** all I can do about it.

There is a saddle - over the ridge tile. Looks like it's been dropped from a great height. Tell says they should all go over the ridge tile.

Its a very bad job:

2. by reason of not being located central over the party wall it will cause PWA issues for you on any mortgage survey.

So how come the wall is painted (o.P's wall ? ) up to the line of l/h side of the chimney.? giving the impression that the party wall is not central to the chimney ? who can tell ?

Fairs fair, however "The angle at the bottom of the roof can change as stated previously" but it has not changed in the pics.
Anyway, I'll leave this thread & thanks for replying to my Q's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back