Bonding hasn’t set in places?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’m building up some areas under a badly formed stair winder with bonding (actually thistle undercoat) , after scratching and then putting dilute PVA on the existing surface. This to have gone OK in most places but the last lot I did, although I swear I mixed it the same consistency, hasn’t set properly where it is layed on thinly or feathered out in a few places. Its much lighter than the rest and just crumbles easily, it looks like the original stuff before I added water. I wouldnt worry about this if the last mixes had done this but they seemed to go dark everywhere, which makes me worried about the rest of the last mix I put up there?

The photo shows an obvious bit where its very thinly applied in the middle, like 2 or 3mm maybe. Its just powder basically. Also even the bits that have gone dark and set don’t look as dark as the other mixes I’ve done, and it doesn’t feel quite as hard (after 24hours anyway)

Attachments

• A91819A5-1AFE-4223-9BED-240CC6F2DC9F.jpeg
    A91819A5-1AFE-4223-9BED-240CC6F2DC9F.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What finish are you looking for? smooth plaster?
will you be skimming?

What finish are you looking for? smooth plaster?
will you be skimming?
Well, I havent worked that out yet. i was going to finish it with easifill, so i can do it bit by bit and sand any mistakes off. But maybe I’d be better off learning to skim with multifinish… a stair winder probably isn’t the best place to learn to skim though I’d guess….

This is what I mean about the difference in the mixes I applied. The patch on the left went powdery at the edges, the patch on the right is hard and dark right up to the feathered edge

Attachments

• 42DC3743-01BA-4252-9606-031378CCEC97.jpeg
    42DC3743-01BA-4252-9606-031378CCEC97.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back