Bonding question - sorry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hopefully going to be rebuilding the stud wall that I removed that was the original meter position but I need to reroute the Feed and Return pipes from my CH Boiler to facilitate this.

Now I know that there isn't any specific bonding to the boiler, seeing as the gas pipe is directly bonded downstairs but if I break the continuity of the copper pipe with plastic, would it be good practice to run an earth wire from each end of the change in pipework to keep any bonding that's associated with the water side of the CH ?

It won't be a problem having the terminals on show as the pipework is going to be totally accessible being surface mounted in a corner of the new cupboard that the wall rebuild will create.

Thanks as always

Sponsored Links
Your post isn't too clear... but I hope you are not planning to use plastic for gas!

And no, bonding at the intake positions will be fine, you are trying to keep everything that could introduce a potrential from outside at teh same potential.

Chances are the 'gland plate' of the boiler (wrong phrase, but where all the pipes go at the bottom) will link it all together anyway

Make sure your bathroom is bonded as well

Your post isn't too clear... but I hope you are not planning to use plastic for gas!

Hehe - no chance of that Adam :LOL: It's just the water pipes I am replacing. I have already been informed from the guys on this site that boiler specific bonding isn't required, as the boiler is connected from the met onto the water pipe & the gas pipe. However, once I install the plastic pipe for the downstairs rads, they will be isolated from the copper coming from the boiler, hence I wondered if an earth wire link would be prudent.

edit! Just had a think :idea: Would another separate bonding lead from one of the downstairs rads to the met be a better bet ?

Make sure your bathroom is bonded as well

The boiler is in my back bedroom, I have already done the cross-bonding of the pipework to the cpc's of the lighting circuit in the bathroom but thanks for the pointer.

Sponsored Links
The 17th guide book shows a Main bond from the MET to the radiator output from the boiler, if the incoming services are plastic.

It says
The radiator served via metal pipes will need a bond if the boiler itself is not itself bonded.
However it would be better practice to bond the boiler or a pipe close to the boiler

Just in the interests of understanding, how come plastic gas pipe is okay on the incoming service pipe and not after it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back