Books, References, Courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,

This may come across very strange but please bare with me.

I have successfully completed my Plumbing NVQ2, My NG ACS and All elements with exception of meters)

I have been working mainly on power flushing and plumbing since i qualified. This is why i have decided to go alone more money and better experience

My Own Corgi meeting was completed and accepted easily, and i got on well with the inspector.

I am now going to go it alone and have made the decision and advertising is booked and ready to go, but i am left with a problem and that's confidence i suddenly feel like i know nothing at all.

I would like references books and packs for breakdowns, servicing (which is a massive knowledge in its own) and most importantly is installs which i have only ever assisted in never done myself.

I am looking for guides, book recommendations etc recommended boiler courses etc.

I have 2 months until all is go and i want a nice reference liabry and build my confidence all help is appricated.

Sponsored Links
I was always taught confidence is competence!

It's going to be a very sharp learning curve and don't expect to earn loads of money at first as you will need to take your time and do it right rather than be quick.

At some point we have all been there and if you come across a breakdown or service you haven't got a clue about, admit it and move on rather than bluff your way through to disaster!

Get yourself booked on manufacturers training courses, they are reasonable prices or free. Download service manuals from web sites.

Warning, don't accept any cold calling from so called advertisers for wall charts, kids with cancer, local police and fire brigade etc etc. firms who say they have loads of work waiting if you pay them money.

Another con is that they tell you that 6 months ago you agreed to advertise with them, hoping you can't remember.

They are all con artists and you might as well just trow your money down the drain.

Only advertise with people you approach.

Finally remember we are all still learning so don't be afraid to ask.

Good Luck.

Dave,

Thanks for that i know we are always learning, but my problem has always been relying on my gut feeling that first idea that comes, 99.9% time its correct,

As for learning i am prepared to do all that's needed, books, forums, 1 day training etc, i know plenty but its more a case of reading stuff and having it there if i need to look it up.

Courses which ones would you recommend and everyone else which ones have you found to be successful?

Which ones have you learnt the most from?
Books there are 100 of them, i am going to order the Viper work books and other guides but what else is recommended?

Regards

Id say before doing most jobs you should see them being done atleast once. I wouldn't recommend any books that would help you replace a boiler for example.

Why not work for a firm that will give you experience doing what you want to do?

Sponsored Links
Most things i have seen done, its just reference mainly. Boiler Changeovers updates is where i would struggle i could repipe and re run from scratch perfect is updates and changing from a system to a combi or a back boiler to a combi.

On any job just take it a step at a time, you only need to think of the entire job when on site to quote.

On a BB out and combi in break the job down into parts rather than think of the whole job the day you turn up to start. eg old boiler out and cylinder out, new boiler on wall, flued and piped up, floorboards up and pipe work done, electrics and so on.

I always set myself daily targets on each job and hopefully acheive them, but not always.

Stingray13 said:
Most things i have seen done, its just reference mainly. Boiler Changeovers updates is where i would struggle i could repipe and re run from scratch perfect is updates and changing from a system to a combi or a back boiler to a combi.

Where abouts are you. When i started off i 'buddied' up with another corgi. Especially on installs which are never by the book. Did the same as Gas4you and broke each install into smaller parts and concentrated on that aspect, rotating on removal, new boiler in , flues, pipes etc.

Manufacturers courses are great value.

It is going to be a very steep learning curve and you are going to be in competition with a lot of experienced firms. Hopefully you arent near a short course training school (unlike me here in Sheffield -Met-UK) as every week i'm getting 'flyers' :rolleyes:

Well I did it from nothing, so it's possible!
Use:
friends, forums, corgi helpdesk, manufacturer helplines, ARGI, anyone really, to help.
If you can do a few jobs for people you know, who don't mind you taking a bit of extra time to get it right, I doubt you'll have a problem. I still come across boilers which are new to me, and somoetimes say something like "this one's unusual" if I have to take longer .
Tip:
Once you've done a job which is new to you, think how long it would take you if you had to do the same job again, and charge for that amount of time. Make it clear you aren't learning at the customer's expense.

Chris

That's good it makes me feel better can you recommend some forums other than this one.

alo what's this acronym mean ARGI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back