New member !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have read a few posts and i thought i would join up as some of you fellas really seem to know your stuff.
First a bit of background, im 32 ive been in the plumbing game since i was 18 & just last year i finally decided to do my ACS and get CORGI registered, since then i have found a new job where i mix my pipework skills with a fair bit of boiler seviceing.

overall its going well but im eager to improve my breakdown skills,ive seen that the baxi boiler courses are recommended and ill book it asap.

meanwhle i was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a good book or two to study on boiler breakdowns?

many thanks, Jim.

Sponsored Links
Just take the plunge and put yourself up for repair jobs after a couple of manufacturers courses.
Until then, you can pick up quite a bit of knowledge by going through different boiler manuals.
You will be able to do most of the common faults without too many problems, and from there on it is mostly an experience thing.

Thanks Bengasman, im lucky enough to have a huge folder with loads and loads of boiler manuals in it from a previous job so ill have a look through that, ive noticed the baxi course teaches multimeter use, can anyone reccomend a decent quality one?

thanks for reading,
Jim.

Electrical wholesaler called TLC do one for about ten quid, very good for the money.
Fluke is better, but a lot more expensive.

Sponsored Links
you will tend to find 9 times out of 10 boilers chuck out the same faults over and over aswell. eg
ideal isar - blank display - pcb
potterton suprima - int lockout - pcb (now n again gas valve)
glowworm micron - xmas light display - thermistor
ravenheat - not doin anything - thermistor
brittony - fires up but no ch - dhw flow switch
puma - no ch - wax capsule

could go on n on :LOL:

Thanks gas, I'll note them, my boss seems to fit vaillents mainly & hamworthy commercials, any known common faults on these to be aware of?
cheers !!
Jim

you will tend to find 9 times out of 10 boilers chuck out the same faults over and over aswell. eg
ideal isar - blank display - pcb
potterton suprima - int lockout - pcb (now n again gas valve)
glowworm micron - xmas light display - thermistor
ravenheat - not doin anything - thermistor
brittony - fires up but no ch - dhw flow switch
puma - no ch - wax capsule

could go on n on :LOL:

May I add one or two...

Fan cycling on P/Tons Profile or Prima - PCB.
Old Worcesters with a pin hole in the plate ex, allowing mains pressure into the central heating circuit.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back