Boost flow rate via cold water storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new combi now and am just refitting the house to have two showers.

Flow rate will be a fairly big problem, especially with two showers running at once.

My peak flow rate is 8.6 l/m, measured by my boiler with kitchen hot tap open.

Looking for ways to boost flow rate. Hot water storage is tricky to integrate into existing combi system.

Can I store cold water in a (pressurised?) tank BEFORE the boiler, with a dedicated pump feeding in to the boiler’s cold input? It would act as a kind of battery that, when empty, would simply allow cold to flow through it at the normal rate. Does this thing exist?

If this idea is rubbish, how about hot water storage? What’s the best way to integrate that?

I know a system boiler+cylinder would have been the ideal solution. Retrospect is a wonderful thing!

Sponsored Links
Remember you can't pressurize water, only air. So you would need a pressure rated tank and a pressure vessel.

A cheaper (and more legal) approach would be to put a normal open storage tank in the attic, and feed the boiler from that with an automatic 1.5 shower pump run in 22mm.

Sponsored Links
Also just because you have a combi, doesn't mean you have to USE the hot water heater. It would be quite happy heating a conventional vented cylinder.

Don't bother with unvented cylinder as that will again be limited to your mains water pressure & flow rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back