boost hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Is it possible to boost the pressure of the hot water system? I have gravity fed hot water and mains cold water, when we use the shower the hot water works fine until you mix in the cold water then everything goes cold, I presume the pressure of the cold water is forcing back the hot water???? Turning the cold pressure down at the main stopcock causes a problem for the gravity fed tamks to fill up. Amy suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can pump the hot supply but the pumps are not cheap.

If you are having that problem with your showers then you have the worng type of mixer fitted as most are not designed to accept mains cold / gravity hot.

3 options are open to you.

1. Buy a Whole House Pump and pump hot supply to all outlets
2. Fit dedicated cold supply to shower from CWSC in loft and just pump to the shower.
3. Fit a Venturi Mixer valve which uses the pressure of the cold mains to increase the flow of the hot. Damn fine optio if you ask me. Not as good as a "proper2 power shower but miles better than a "normal shower"

Rico

Yes you can pump the hot supply but the pumps are not cheap.

3. Fit a Venturi Mixer valve which uses the pressure of the cold mains to increase the flow of the hot. Damn fine optio if you ask me. Not as good as a "proper2 power shower but miles better than a "normal shower"

Rico

Bit of a contradiction there Rico, pumps and venturi showers aren't that much different cost-wise

Not really a contradiction muggles.

Also gave him a pump as an option, personally I would probably get the venturi and would be a lotless hassle fitting it.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Think the whole house pump would probably suit better, I presume it can be fitted to the hot water tank outlet and mounted on the floor in the airing cupboard. The tank is fed by a 22mm pipe from the cold tank which is 200ltrs, shower, bath, sink etc is already fitted and tiled so the airing cupboard seems a lot less work. Your thoughts please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back