Booster pump not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a booster pump to the hot water supply of my shower. When I test it into a bucket it works fine. When I conect it to the shower (with the shower on), it works fine. As soon as I switch the shower off and then on, the pump will not engage. I have since fitted a non return value thinking that was the issue, but still no joy.
Any thoughts welcome?

Sponsored Links
Where is the cold supply for your shower coming from?

How far above the showerhead is the cold water storage tank?

The cold comes in from the main. so the pump is only on the hot. It is a flat, so the header tank is around the same height as the shower head.

The cold comes in from the main. so the pump is only on the hot.

Hmmmm.

It is a flat, so the header tank is around the same height as the shower head.

Is this a negative head pump?

What about the cylinder, is it a combination (fortic) cylinder?

or a standard cylinder with a cold water tank?

If the tank and shower are at the same level, how will water flow so that the pump can start up?

Sponsored Links
as said its not going to kick the pump in with the cws same height as the shower head.

what shower mixer have you got ?

Yes, is sounds like it is a negative head problem. I just spoke with Salamander and they have recommended a different pump, (I guess you should never listen to the guys in the shop). I hope this will cure it. Many thanks. Ed

you'll be better running both hot/cold from a pump not cold from mains

take the shower head off and lower the hose in the bath will it start then ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back