Borderline negative head shower / RSP 75 pump-is this fix OK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the following problem I have and the 'fix' I'm thinking about. Appologies if it's a bit long winded but I want to explain what's happening and also the background.

Have just recently installed a 3 way theormostatic concealed valve to upstairs bathroom to operate bath filler, fixed shower head and side rail shower head.

Have fitted a Salamander RSP 75 in the airing cupboard located next to the HW Cylinder. CWS is located in loft above the HW Cylinder. Dedicated feeds to pump from CWS and an Essex flance from the HW cylinder.

Pump is located @ 12 feet below the CWS but the 2 shower heads are only located about 12-18 inches below which I believe is creating a borderline negative head situation.

The problem Im getting is when selecting either of the 2 shower heads on the valve, the pump does not kick in and there is no flow at all. If I switch to the bath filler (which is much lower than the shower heads and very much a posstive head) the pump kicks in straight away. Once the flow has statred I can then select either of the shower heads and all is well.

Inside the shower valve are 2 filters and 2 non return valves - one set of each on both the hot and cold feeds to the thermostatic cartridge.

The filters are not blocked and I concluded that the problem was as follows.

Due to the borderline negative head, in both the shower positions, there is just not sufficient pressure / flow to open the non return valves and kick the pump in. Incidently if when either shower head is selected and the water turned to on and there is no flow, by turning the thermostatic valve to either all hot or all cold, the pump then kicks in which I belive is further indiction that the negative head effect is very borderline as by switching the bias of flow to just one of the Non return valves, the flow/ pressure is sufficient to open it and kick the pump in.

So what I did was remove the 2 non return valves from the thermostatic valve and as suspected, all three outlets worked fine with the pump kicking in straight away with no problem.

However, what I did notice was a second or so of overrun on the RSP 75 once the water is turned off on the thermostatic valve which was not happening when the non return valves were in place.

So my question is will I be OK to remove both the non return valves, or should I leave one or both in. If I leave them out will there be any potential problems in terms of the pump overun and the fact that there is a potential open flow in the system (note that the HW Cylinder and the direct feeds to the pump are all fed from the same CWS and all in 22 pipework).

If its better to put one or two of the non return valves back in place and the problems re manifests, would the simplist solution be to then raise the hight of the CWS tank in the loft.

Hope above makes sense and would appreciate some guidance and thoughts please.

Rgds

Simon

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any thoughts or advise on below problem please

Much appreciated

Simon

I am a householder.

I see no reason why your system would not work properly with the check valves removed. Both feeds come from the same source (the cold water cistern) so are balanced in pressure, and neither is drinkable.

However, I suspect there's probably a regulation somewhere that says check valves must be fitted. Perhaps one of the professionals here will know?

I would think that if you can raise the cold water cistern, this would be the proper solution.

Hi Mogget

Thanks for the input - I would agree that in priciple both feeds should be in balance due to the fact that they come from the same CWS but like you I'm no expert or professional.

I'm also a little concerned as to what the long term effects of pump over run could mean - again no experience in this so I have bo idea if it's a potential problem or not.

Regarding raising the CWS tank, it is possible as I have room in the loft but obviously an expensive solution compared to just running the system without the NRV's is place.

I would greatly appreciate some advise from any professionals with experience of this or similar or who can give some guidance on what problems I may encounter if I do run the system without any NRV's in place

Rgds

Simon

Sponsored Links
Hopefully someone who knows might read this - seco services will probably have the answer :)

Hi Seco Services,

Sorry about the war and peace in the original post - hope it didn't put you to sleep. Any advice or guidance would be greatfully received.

Rgds

Simon

have you fitted any isolation valves along the pipework at all ?
if so what ones are they ?

i not one for leaving filters and check valves old of appliances id rather sort the problem and correct the install.

you do have a very short distance between the head and the cws in loft.

Hi Seco,

Yes - there are gate valves on both the hot and cold feeds to the pump and also gate valves from the hot and cold outputs from the pump to the thermostatic valve - so basically by shutting all four gate valves down, the whole pump can be safely removed.

In addition to this there are gate valves from the original cold water feed from the CWS to the HW Cylinder and also the new cold water feed from the CWS to the pump.

The Thermostatic valve had both filters and NRV's on each side, I've left the filters in and only taken out the NRV's.

The distance between the 2 shower heads and the bottom of the CWS is only 12 inches or so.

Hope this helps clarify

Rgds

Simon

the 12" is a bit low for a salamander pump.

the gate valves are they fll bore or are they restricted ones ?

i would check one of them before going down the lifting tank route.
don't need to be much but that can stop you getting your 1 l/min per side to kick the pump in.

Have just checked them and they are all fully open. Also when selecting the bath filler on the valve, I have never had a problem - I assume this is due to the fact it's much lower down and therefore much more possitive.

lifting the tank is a last resort option really as the system is now working with no problem without the thermostatic valve NRV's in place.

I'm wondering if by leaving them out, I may be causing myself a bigger problem further down the road.

Do you know if all thermostatic valves have NRV's fitted or do some not have them?

they all have nrv's now.

your bath filler works as you say its lower down etc

your gate valves i don't mean are they open.
i mean are they full bore as in internal diameter.

ie, a iso valve that you fit to say your basin taps fit 15mm pipes.
but are only about 10mm diameter bore through the centre.

gate valves are the same some are full diameter some can be badly restricted inside to say 18mm, that can restrict your gravity flow enough to stop your pump kicking in.

OK...understand...as I say...I'm not sure but will find out.

I would have thought that the flow must be sufficient though as the bath filler always works ?

Would you agree that as both the cold feed to the pump and the HW Cylinder / Essex flange feed to the hot water side are being fed from the same CWS that the pressures on both sides should be about equal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back