bosch classixx fridge temperature problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a bosch classixx fridge freezer and the fridge for the last 12 months that i can remember is getting very cold and freezing items like veg/fruit especially the bottom draws.

the freezer also frosts up and needs done regular. is this a door seal or a thermostat? can i buy or fit a door seal if so?

Sponsored Links
I have run frost free fridge/freezer and freezer for years and yet the fridge would slowly build up ice and every round an again I still had to de-frost.

I thought this was normal it's been like that from nearly new but it also developed a second fault where the interior light would flash on and off when we opened the door.

On calling on insurance they sent Hotpoint guy who as soon as he saw the ice condemned the whole unit as faulty saying thermal insulation had gone and insurance paid out.

I hope that's not the problem with yours but it would be a shame to pay out to repair if it then would do nothing.

As I understand it years ago only the freezer had a temperature control the fridge was rather hit and miss. Today with inverter control still the same motor runs both fridge and freezer but the temperature control is independent my new one has display for both freezer and fridge temperature.

To my knowledge this is the third freezer to fail with thermal insulation problems. So out of a life time of around 8 freezers 2 given away when wife wanted up-grade, 3 got rid of with thermal insulation problems 2 with motor failure and 1 still running so it would seem thermal insulation failure is quite common.

Since my first post my freezer failed lucky I still had the faulty fridge/freezer in garage I had intended using it as a tool cupboard. I wrote this report for another post but it equally may interest you.

My freezer motor failed and as a result I had to re-instate fridge/freezer in garage while I get a replacement this has a know thermal insulation fault, but out of interest, once fully down to temperature the power meter was put on the supply.
Time under test 43H 45M 55S
Power used 2.72 kWh
This equates to 1.29 kWh every 24 hours or 542 kWh per annum.
The unit is quite old likely 15 years old so was likely a B rated unit to start with and it has auto de-frost and options to adjust the temperature High Med Low as a comparison new Samsung fridge freezer measured not manufactures data uses 294.92 kWh per annum and that is rated as A++ the manufacturer says it uses 277 kWh per annum so since measured in summer not far off.
Again out of interest the power factor of know faulty fridge freezer was 0.75 but with the new fridge freezer (inverter control) it was 0.99 clearly a lot has been done to improve new models but at around £35 per year extra in fuel costs had the old unit also not have had other electronic control faults which meant it was not really reliable I would have not replaced it.

We have been looking for a replacement freezer with chest freezers can't get frost free and very few upright freezers have frost free and where they do it's very expensive. We found to buy a under counter freezer with frost free was nearly the same price as fridge/freezer any for under counter frost free double the price to non frost free and of course not as economical to run.

We now wish we had got a 55/50 fridge/freezer not a 60/40 but garden produce means we need the extra freezer capacity so will have to but a under counter freezer non frost free to replace it. It will mean reducing from 160 litres to 85 litres with our second freezer we were keeping far too much frozen stuff. But to relate our problems may I hope help you make a better selection in curing your problem.

Sponsored Links
have a spare thermostat so going to try and see if that fixes the bottom of the fridge compartment from freezing things like veg. Then the frost build up in the freezer has to be down to moisture getting in so i presume the seal has gone on the door and I don't think that looks replaceable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back