Bosch ClassiXX Fridge/Freezer: Temperature Regulator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 5 year old Bosch ClassiXX Fridge/Freezer KGV28V00GB/01 has developed a fault whereby it runs but stops prematurely before the required temperature drop has been achieved.

I strongly suspect that the temperature regulator needs to be replaced but I can't see how to remove its plastic cover (located inside the upper fridge compartment) from which the control knob protrudes and which supports the 15W lamp at the rear. There are no visible screws whatsoever and none are shown in the parts drawing on the Bosch website.

Can anyone "in the know" tell me how this cover should be removed without damaging it?

Sponsored Links
Thermostats generally fail either open or closed circuit. This means they either get too cold or do not chill at all.

Does the compressor get very hot when running,
where is the appliance located
How long does the compressor run for
does the freezer pipework get cold all over (as the gas expands it starts chilling from the entry point first so how far along the pipe work does it get)
Does the fridge plate get cold all over
Is the door seal making correctly

If recall correctly there is usually a screw in the light fitting part that needs to be undone the unit then slides (some have a screw at the end nearest the door under a pop out cover)

Thermostats generally fail either open or closed circuit. This means they either get too cold or do not chill at all.

Does the compressor get very hot when running,
where is the appliance located
How long does the compressor run for
does the freezer pipework get cold all over (as the gas expands it starts chilling from the entry point first so how far along the pipe work does it get)
Does the fridge plate get cold all over
Is the door seal making correctly

If recall correctly there is usually a screw in the light fitting part that needs to be undone the unit then slides (some have a screw at the end nearest the door under a pop out cover)
Thanks for your response Leccy and for the pointers that you've given me to check. I'll follow up on these.

In the meantime though, that "pop out cover" must be hiding something as I haven't found any screw at the lamp holder end. So at the end nearest the door, how does one pop the small cover out without graunching it up too much as it appears to be a very tight fit?

Sponsored Links
Hi Leccy,

I worked through the check list you kindly provided and am embarrassed to say that what I found was a large build up of ice along the pipework at the top/rear of the freezer, particularly so where one of the pipes enters the freezer compartment. My only lame excuse is that being hidden at the rear of the cabinet, I'd simply never noticed it before!

Checking the freezer door seal also showed that there was a small gap at the mid/top position of the door. The frame of the cabinet seems to bow inwards slightly here so that the seal is well compressed at the door edges but less-squashed (or not squashed in my case) in the mid/top area. The seal itself was not physically damaged anywhere and if the freezer door was closed firmly, rather than gently, then the seal seemed to be compressed everywhere. I suppose that seals get 'tired' with age, so it may be worth me replacing it(?).

Anyway, having defrosted it all, cleaned it out and checked that there were no gaps in the freezer door seal when closed, I restarted it from room temperature. The compressor ran for about 2 hours and then stopped. Measuring the fridge and freezer compartment temperatures, I found the freezer was nearly -30 degrees C but the fridge was a bit high at around +8 degrees C. Increasing the thermostat setting didn't restart it but operating the switch and leaving it for a while, did. After a short time the temp in the fridge was down to about +4 and I turned the switch off. That was 2 days ago and the empty fridge/freezer appears to have been maintaining proper temperatures ever since.

The experience has made me realise that my knowledge of practical refrigeration is very weak, ie little more than the basic evaporator/condenser circuit that I covered way back in my schooldays! If you have the time, can you help me out with the following please.

My understanding of the Classixx is that its a pretty basic single compressor unit with the freezer evaporator in series with the fridge evaporator (plate). The thermostat, mounted in the fridge compartment, actually monitors the temperature in the freezer but there's some sort of duct arrangement between compartments such that a 'warm' fridge will warm up the freezer slightly and hence start the compressor until the freezer is back down to its setting. The aspect that I cannot understand with this concept is how a thermostatically controlled freezer temperature translates into a much higher, but controlled, temperature in the fridge.

Anyway, many thanks for your time and invaluable advice which prevented me from wasting my money on an unnecessary spare..... but I must do something with the door seal!

General idea of fridge freezers

If your fridge compartment has an evaporator plate in it the thermostat for the fridge controls the temperature of the fridge and freezer. It does this by calling the compressor when the temp of the fridge is too high, this in turn cools the fridge and freezer.
If the fridge freezer is kept in a cold room which gets below 10 degrees regularly the fridge thermostat will not call for the compressor (the inside of the fridge will be below 5 degrees) so the freezer will defrost despite nothing being wrong with the unit.

Fridge freezer with no evaporator in the fridge (generally frost free)
The thermostat is in the freezer and fridge, the freezer one calls the compressor on while the fridge one generally operates a damper to allow cold air to be blown in by a fan from the freezer. Temperature control for the fridge is maintained by the damper opening and closing. The freezer is kept frost free by switching on heater elements on the evaporator pipework. (Frost frees still require defrosting and cleaning contrary to popular belief)

Very basic idea of the two most common single compressor systems

Hi Leccy,

Many thanks for that very useful description of the basic functionality of single compressor fridge/freezers.

My Bosch KGV28V00GB/01 fridge/freezer seems to fit the first case you described, ie evaporator plate and single thermostat setting control in fridge, and separate evaporator in freezer. As expected the freezer has pipe connections to/from the evaporator (one at the top/rear and the other at the top/front of the compartment).

Sorry to labour the point, but my unit seems to differ slightly from your description in that the freezer additionally has a thin pipe that also enters from the top/front and follows the evaporator round to the top/rear position. I had assumed the latter was actually a capillary tube associated with the thermostat in the fridge and had its bulb lodged within the plastic moulding that surrounds the coolant pipe which exits the freezer at its top/rear position.

It was the presence of this apparent capillary that led me to believe that the thermostat in the fridge compartment directly controlled the freezer, rather than the fridge, temperature.

So am I completely wrong about this being a capillary for the freezer?

Thanks for your response Leccy and for the pointers that you've given me to check. I'll follow up on these.

In the meantime though, that "pop out cover" must be hiding something as I haven't found any screw at the lamp holder end. So at the end nearest the door, how does one pop the small cover out without graunching it up too much as it appears to be a very tight fit?

I eventually worked out how to remove and replace my thermostat (Bosch Fridge-Freezer KIM29470GB), and have posted a sequence of photos and instructions here:
http://www.goforich.co.uk/lr/bosch-fridge-repair/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back