bosch dishwasher water check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bosch dishwasher No. SG145E16GB/28 FD 8711.

Yesterday I came home to find the dishwasher which I had set on a quick wash cycle, had stopped and drained with 66 minutes still on the clock! The check water light was on. When I set the timer before leaving the clock read 50 minutes, the quick wash has never taken longer than 35.

Reset and tried again, light comes on about 30 seconds after it starts filling and will carry on sloshing around, the time left display is all over the place. I reset and the machine empties fine. It doesn't get hot.

I haven't checked the filter on the hose (it has an aqua stop) but never had a problem with scale on any appliance. This appliance is integrated so I cannot try the tilt 45 degrees which seems to be a common remedy for this fault. The guy who fitted it pointed to the aqua stop and said 'Those are a damn nuisance'. Wish I had asked why now, but it was a Bosch! The last one had lasted 15 years.

I know I will have to book and engineer tomorrow but any information that could give me a clue to what I am in for would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Open door, check theres no water. Close door and cancel last programme, wait for it to finish then turn on any programme. After 5 mins open door, any water in the tub?

Regardless of whether you or an engineer investigate, the machine will need to be taken out of the cabinet to properly diagnose the fault.

It could be a blockage, faulty inlet valve or stuck/faulty fill float/switch.

Are you sure water pressure is ok?

Thank you.

Water is coming in from the bottom left inlet, it stops when I open the door and starts when closed, it is pumping out ok. I have checked the pump, it is turning freely.

Just gone through a short cycle, the light came on intermittently, however, it rinsed, washed and dried. Still need to get it checked out.

Thanks

How much water is in the tub once its finished filling? Does it cover the filter? How much higher above?
Could be filling too slowly, slight blockage, low water pressure.

Use a cleaner and on the hottest cycle without dishes. Also check that the inlet (bottom left) is clear using a baby bottle brush or similar (don't force or ram to hard or you will push the pipe off/out, could be gunged up.

Sponsored Links
The water when full just covers the filter and comes 2 thirds up the mushroom shaped valve just behind.

Just run 2 quick washes.... wash/rinse and dry only.

On the rinse the light comes on just as the washer is full then goes off then rinses and empties with no more problems.

On the wash cycle the light comes on at the same time but the pump kicks in for a second then it tries to fill but the pump kicks in again for a second, this battle with the fill and pump out goes on for about 5 minutes, then quite suddenly the washer blades start and the washer finishes the cycle with wash and dry.

I do run a cleaner through and do a manual clean of filters and seals often.
Apart from high days and holidays I am cooking for one, never do I put fat or food particles down the drain.

The water pressure isn't great but I am getting above recommended minimum of 10 bar.

I have stopped using it now and booked an engineer for Wednesday. Just finished taking the plinths off.

I will post the diagnosis it might give someone else a clue.

Thanks a lot.

Is the 'mushroom valve' a grey domed shaped plastic cap located next to the bottom spray arm?
This is a water fill level sensor that can sometimes get dirt/gung up inside or seal goes and water passes through and either fills the base or triggers false conditions hence fill/drain/fill.
The only way to remove it is from underneath so removing from housing is still necessary.

Yes it is a grey mushroom at the back of the filter underneath the spray arm. If I lift it manually it does activate the pump.

An engineer left an hour ago, he turned the machine to rinse said the water was coming in ok and confirmed the pump was working because he heard it and the water drained didn't physically check anything, even though the plinth had been removed, cupboard empty so he could check the plumbing, the machine never came out from under worktop, the only thing he touched was the selector nob. I rang the office no joy there, could only get to speak to some receptionist who hadn't a clue.

My heart sank a little when I saw he was in a battered private car and the only tools he came in with were 2 screwdrivers and a small hand meter I assumed was for testing electrical components, none of which were used.

Said it might be the aqua stop but that normally stopped the water when faulty but he would order one fit it and if that didn't work he would check the electronics!!!

I refused to sign the form agreeing to the order of a part that may or may not be faulty, and that fixing a machine by trial and error at my expense is not acceptable, he kept apologising for the fact that I wasn't happy and said it was the only way to find out what was wrong. Rang the office, by this time I was really angry. I have used this company before but a long time ago and they were OK.

They are a member of the councils 'Trusted trader Scheme' my issues have been passed on to the council and I have asked for my comments to posted on the website.

Someone else who comes recommended booked for Friday.

Thanks.

You have done the right thing.
He heard the pump, so it must be working - what an amazing diagnosis!
Lets hope Friday brings you better news!

Is he listed as an Appliance Engineer or as a Plumber?

It is possible the aqua stop is playing up but my money is on the mushroom dome sticking/leaking seal or faulty switch. It needs to be inspected.

You could add a couple of jugs of water after the drain cycle has completed (before the filling starts) to eliminate the aqua stop.

Definitely an Appliance Engineer.

Just tried the jugs of water still reading a fault.

Oh well.

Cheers

Appliance Engineer #2 checked things over and is pretty sure it is a faulty pressure switch, not aqua stop.

£10 call out refundable off final bill. Going to call me when he has sorted part.

He refers to it as a pressure switch, is it the dome mushroon he's referring to?

Whats the item number?

The pressure switch attached to the heater housing could be faulty or the mechanism that operates the switch could be sticking and may need cleaning.
Really he should remove the mechanism and check/clean before replacing switch unless this is to be replaced as well. It sounds like it by the price of it!

Come on guys,the dome is for overfill in the tub or water in the base.The fill is gauged by the Jug Impellor spinning with the incoming water pressure and pulsing a signal to the PCB.Therefore same water level regardless of water pressure,however when they fail the dome will come into action.

Yep, just found two threads one on here and one on UK Whitegoods, exactly same problem as mine, Jug Impellor at fault.

Next time I post my dishwasher will be fixed or scrapped!!!!!!

Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back