Bosch Exxcel fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,hope someone can help.We have had the above fridge for about 2.5 years.Supposedly frost free,but we have had to defrost it many times,as it starts to make obscure noises,this cures it til next time,however whilst freezer is ok the fridge is now not getting cold,the internal thermostat is at highest level,but still not working.Is there likely to be a faulty part? is it repairable by a DIYer.The "fan" which comes on when the door is closed in the fridge is coming on,but not cold enough? i am baffled.Thank you in advance for any help.
Paul :( :(

Sponsored Links
I assume the fridge-freezer has a single thermostat and a single motor (compressor).
Is the motor running continuously or is it switching on and off?
If it is switching on and off then probably the thermostat is faulty and replacing this is a straight forward DIY job. :)

If it is running continuously then either there is a blockage in the internal pipe system (possibly caused by a bang) or the system is low on gas and needs regassing. This is not a DIY job and the cost may be prohibitive.
:(
Shiralco

Shiralco,thank you for reply.The motor is switching on and off (model no is FD8703 if this helps).If its a faulty thermostat and i can locate a replacement,where is it and how do i change it. Once again many thanks for your help so far.
Paul

Paul,
I am not familiar with your model, but here is some general advice. The main body of the thermostat is behind the temperature control knob. Pull off the knob and check to see how the panel is attached. Unplug the fridge and remove the panel. The thermostat will consist of a matchbox size device connected to a long thin metal tube that disappears into the body of the fridge. At this point you may be able to see a reference number on the thermostat. If not you have two choices. Either remove the thermostat (making a note of the wire connections so that these can be replaced later) and take the thermostat to a domestic equipment spare parts shop and ask for a replacement, or take the fridge model number and reference number to a dealer (or on line) and buy the part that way. The latter way means that the freezer at least can be kept working whilst you source the part.
When replacing the thermostat make sure you carefully unwind the tube and don't bend it sharply or cut it. The tube contains a fluid that needs to expand and contract. Refit the wires and the panel. Best of luck.

Shiralco

Sponsored Links
Hi Shiralco,removed the panel etc. found what i now presume is the operating module, couldnt find any spares on web so phoned Bosch to order one(£36.50)should be here in a few days so will fit it and report back.Thanks again hope this works :LOL: :LOL:
Paul
p.s. forgot to add model no is KGN34X00GB/06 not what i put before!

Update-received the operating module today,fitted 2 mins up and running again hoorah! :LOL: :LOL: now just sampling a cold beer just to ensure it really is cold :evil: :evil: All that remains is that it behaves like it should,i.e. frostfree.Heres hoping.
Paul

Hi Paul,

Just got back from holiday and read your reply - glad everything worked out OK - you are now officially an expert in the field of fridge repair.

Shiralco

Shiralco,I had actually forgotten about this,very good sign.The fridge/freezer is working perfectly defrosting on its own etc.By no means a "expert" but a good feeling when you actually achieve a repair on your own that works :LOL: :LOL: At the time looking on the net the fault is apparently common with that board and when I phoned Bosch the girl said straight away that this would be the problem.Thought at £36 was cheap,think they discount them,knowing they are problematic.Thanks for reposting though,makes this board very rewarding to get good advice,from expert people giving up there time.Nice one. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back