Bosch fridge/freezer icing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bosch Exxcel Frost Free fridge freezer about 5 years old.

Ice is forming on the bottom of the fridge part under the salad boxes and spoiling the stuff in the salad boxes.

Ice is also forming on the bottom of the freezer i.e under the bottom box and the box freezes solid to it.

The drain hole appears clear.

I turned it off and let the ice melt and cleaned it out and dried it thoroughly.

But, as soon as I turned it back on water dripped out of the drain hole and started forming ice under the salad boxes. I kept wiping it dry but it just kept coming.

Be grateful for any help.

poppikins

Sponsored Links
how long was it switched off for should be 24 /48 hrs.the drain hole is blocked with crud it needs clearing. use a metal coat hanger and poke it down the hole till it reaches the bottom at the back .also you can use a fruit shoot drinks bottle filled with hot water and squeeze it down the hole in one go the liquid and force of the water will clear it .

how long was it switched off for should be 24 /48 hrs.the drain hole is blocked with crud it needs clearing. use a metal coat hanger and poke it down the hole till it reaches the bottom at the back .also you can use a fruit shoot drinks bottle filled with hot water and squeeze it down the hole in one go the liquid and force of the water will clear it .

Thanks very much rocks1.

It was turned off for nearly a week and I have always kept it immaculately clean and would not have thought there was any crud to get in there. I also put my little finger down. If I force it down as you say where does it go? Where does the water go anyway?

I will try again following your instructions.

poppikins

poppikins,I have a Bosch frost free and had similar problems,with salad drawer freezing.Found it to be a operating module fault.Ring Bosch with your model number for a replacement,mine cost £36.50.Easy to replace,open fridge door,consol top prise open gently disconnect wires replace easy.Did mine in September been fine since.Please bear in mind im not a expert only a D.I.Y. person,so make your own evaluation

Sponsored Links
the water goes onto the compresor tray at the back . turn it round and you will see.

the water goes onto the compresor tray at the back . turn it round and you will see.

Thanks rocks1 does the water evaporate then? I can't actually turn it round to see.

And where does the crud go please? When you've poked it down does it just build up inside?

poppikins

the heat from the compressor evapourates it, the crud stays in the tube thats why i said about a bottle of water to push the crud down the hole onto the tray at the back that goes on the compressor .

the heat from the compressor evapourates it, the crud stays in the tube thats why i said about a bottle of water to push the crud down the hole onto the tray at the back that goes on the compressor .

Thanks rocks.

I haven't got a water bottle so was going to try the coat hanger you suggested. What length should I push in there?

poppikins

all the way if its long enough you will see it poke out the bottom at the back .

all the way if its long enough you will see it poke out the bottom at the back .

Thanks rocks1

I can't see the back so it would help if you could say how long the coat hanger should be?

poppikins

undo the coat hanger till its full length .measure the length from the hole to the bottom of the freezer about 3 foot .place coat hanger in the hole and it should go to the bottom and out the other end look behind the freezer and you will see it poking out the other end at the back in the middle .you must turn the freezer round to see it .

undo the coat hanger till its full length .measure the length from the hole to the bottom of the freezer about 3 foot .place coat hanger in the hole and it should go to the bottom and out the other end look behind the freezer and you will see it poking out the other end at the back in the middle .you must turn the freezer round to see it .

Thanks rocks1

I can't see the back of the freezer or turn it round as it is standing on a plinth in between a row of kitchen units.

Is it still OK to do it without being able to see it at the back?

Is the tube metal? Could I damage it?

Thanks for help
poppikins

tube is plastic just push the hanger down then tip hot water down the hole if the water disappears its clear .

poppikins,I have a Bosch frost free and had similar problems,with salad drawer freezing.Found it to be a operating module fault.Ring Bosch with your model number for a replacement,mine cost £36.50.Easy to replace,open fridge door,consol top prise open gently disconnect wires replace easy.Did mine in September been fine since.Please bear in mind im not a expert only a D.I.Y. person,so make your own evaluation

Thanks paulc7617

I was certain as I could be that it was a blocked drainhole problem.

I could see the water spilling out of it and freezing but this is very interesting and useful information and I will keep it in mind in case needed another time.

poppikins

tube is plastic just push the hanger down then tip hot water down the hole if the water disappears its clear .

Thanks rocks1.

That was absolutely brilliant and worked a treat. Very many thanks for your time and patience.

Two small final questions.

I have a small amount of ice collecting under the bottom box of the freezer section?

Please would you mind saying what the temperature setting should be on both the fridge sections?

Thanks again
poppikins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back