Bosch Induction hob - Installation query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a bosch induction hob and oven. My electrician wired up the hob and switched it on waited for it to heat up. He was not aware that the rings would not heat up as no compatible based saucepans were on the the rings! (this appparently was his first time installing an induction hob).
As power was going to the hob he was quite happy that the hob would work correctly.

However, on reading the instruction manual, before i used the hob for cooking for thefirst time, the instruction manual advises that :- Before using the hob for the first time, it must be tested for the correct current.
Follow the steps below to change th current on the hob:-
(hob to be turned on - no pans to be placed on hotplates - within 60 seconds adjust all hotplates to the desired power level according to the required connection current using table provided)

Table :-

Power Level Connection in current amperes
1 20A
2 16A
3 13A
4 10A

Once you have selected the power level and switched the hob of at the mains switch the power level is saved.

I do not know what power level to set the hob at as I do not know what the "connection current in amperes" is for the hob and my electrician is not available to contact as he is on holiday.
It would also appear that I cannot now change the power level of the hotpltaes as it looks like you only get one go at this whent the hob is initially switchd on - this procedure was not carried out at initial switch on as previously stated.

I am rather dubious about using the hob due tothe above as I d not know what power level the individual hotplates are set to and any consequences of using the hob at the wrong power level.

bosch customer care team will not give ant advice on eelctrical queries and advises to contact an electrican.

Can anyone give me advice on this dilema?

Any thoughtswould be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1) What rating is the circuit for the hob?

2) Seems odd that there's no way to change the setting after the very first power on. What if you move house and things change? What if the hob needs repairing and a new "ring" or a new control unit is fitted?

Push back at Bosch - this isn't an electrical query it's a product operation one.

IIRC it's not the first time I've heard that Bosch are particularly bad at customer support.

3) If it really does turn out that you can't set it to what you want because your electrician didn't RTFM then he's going to have to buy a new hob for you, as it was his negligence which caused the problem.

This seems rather odd. Most induction hobs are rated at about 7.2KW which is just over 31amps on a single phase supply. The settings you list are way below 31amps and as low as 10 amps which is quite a surprise to me. I really think you should first contact Bosch customer service and get a very clear response from them. Do you have access to an online copy of the instructions? If so can you post a link to them on here?

Sponsored Links
As Bosch, Siemens and Neff are all part of the same group it is probably similar to my Neff hob where if you install it on a circuit of lower rating than the hob can use there is method involving pressing combinations of buttons after turninig it on to 'de-rate' the appliance so it doesn't use it's full power.

As said above it will be in the manual. You can get an PDF version here: http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/customer-service/download-product-manuals.html ,or if you give the model / E-number, I will have a look.

Also what size MCB in your consumer unit is the hob circuit on (it may say something like B32 or B40 for example)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back