Bosch washing machine blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

I help out an elderly neighbour with bits and bobs.

Today, she asked about her relatively new Bosch washing machine, that is giving an E18 code and resulted in her not being able to open the door. She followed the instructions, drained the machine and has retrieved her washing.

E18 relates to the outlet being blocked. I removed the filter thing at the bottom and surprised to see that there is no lint filter. The seal unscrews, there was a bit of calcium like stuff in there and the impeller was free.

First question; why is there no lint filter?

Then moved to the outlet where it connects after the washbasin U bend. There is a spring loaded rubber valve in the fitting. The valve did have a bit of lint around it and I replaced everything but don't understand the need for a valve.

Surely the outlet flow should be free flowing and not restricted by a one way valve? Is there any reason why the valve should not be removed?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Don’t know but today I had Miele out to look at our 6 year old machine. Throwing up all sorts of faults and continues pumping sometimes after the programme had finished. Wifey was just switching it off and continue using it until I reminded her we had a 10 year guarantee. Anyway, despite using calgon regularly, the whole works were scaled up inside. Engineer spent over an hour cleaning it all out. He reckons that calgon isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. No charge for the call out or labour but he did sell me some Miele descaler and intense clean powder.

Thanks for your reply. There was a bit of scale in the impeller housing that is at the bottom where one can access.

There is even a drain hose, which the neighbour had used to drain the machine sufficiently to allow her to open the door with the by-pass thing next to the drain. But when I unscrewed the cover to check the inside of what I assumed to be the lint filter, there was around 3 cups of water still inside with no way to drain it easily. Transpires the drain hose lowest point is above the impeller cover. Bad design Bosch!!!!!

There was a bit of scale but not much. However, there was as mentioned initially, a bit of lint around the spring loaded valve. Having cleared it all, I have been told the machine is working fine.

I called Bosch to ask about a lint filter and was told that they rarely fit them these days; was even told that the spring loaded valve was to catch any buttons. Does not make sense since surely and internal filter should catch any buttons before they get to the sink drain? I was also advised that if the machine is out of guarantee, then it is sometime better to cut the spring valve mount away to improve the flow.

Just seems like a poor design; how do these things past the process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back