Bosch washing mechine.small explosions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bosch classixx1200 express washing machine its about 7 years old. This is quite odd, but for a few months there have been the odd pop or bang from under the counter where the machine lives when its going. It was plugged into a socket under the counter and i thought it had got wet and was arcing. Taking the radical route i removed the socket completely and plugged it into the socket above counter level. However it dose not seem to have cured it, when hot the bangs seem to be back though it keeps going and no fuses get blown it bangs with a electrical smell. I've had the top off and cant see anything obviously black or burned what can it be?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the motor brushes are worn out and need to be changed !

Arching because of poor contact between the end of the brushes and the commutator can cause the symptoms you describe.

Sounds like the motor brushes are worn out and need to be changed !

Arching because of poor contact between the end of the brushes and the commutator can cause the symptoms you describe.

thanks for that, i will change em and see. I sort of assumed the brushes wearing out would result in the motor just not working, Cheers

Sponsored Links
spoke too soon its at it again,this time i saw it in semi darkness and it produces quite a light show, then continues as if nothing had happened. Maybe the new brushes are sticking?....

ah ha for those who might have the same problem i have found the cure..i took the motor off and the motor apart so the middle bit that spins was in my hand. What seems to have been happening was the carbon from the brushes built up and the segment of the bit it bears on, which is segmented copper, arced across each other. I polished up the segments and picked out any carbon from between the segments with a narrow knife. I also washed it (the segments) in meths, resembled and it goes like a train now...

You probably have exposed live terminals either getting wet or touching earth during vibrations from movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back