BossTherm BPS242RF and BR1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a fairly new combi boiler which has been working okay. I have had some work carried out near the boiler and the power was turned off. Since it was turned back on again, 2 days ago, everything seemed okay but this morning the heating will not come on, the hot water is still okay. I think it is the 2 controls not communicating. The batteries in the BPS242 are okay but the BR1 doesn't have a light on. If I turn off the supply then on again an amber light flashes for a few seconds then goes out. I have read about resetting the BR1 but that needs a red light on to be able to do that.
Any help and advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the receiver has lost the connection with the stat.

Remove the stat from the wall and take it to the receiver and then follow the instructions your installer should have left you to re-establish the signal.

If you havnt got the instructions do a search on line

The controls are mobile. I tried holding the set button in for 4 seconds, then pushed the reset button, after that I pushed the learn button on the controls but it didn't seem to work.
I'm not sure how the BR1 comes off the wall, it feels like it may just pull off but don't want to take the chance.
In my working life (I've been retired 12 years) I was a service engineer for domestic appliance company (Bosch) so I am used to working with electrical components.
Thanks for replying.
I think I might end up phoning the heating engineer tomorrow if it's not working. It seems a very cold night, lucky we have a couple of electric fires. It's not funny when you get old and the weather is cold, it looks like we will have to try and find a hot water bottle.
Thanks again.

You have not bothered to tell us the make and model of your new boiler!

If you did then we could tell you how to bypass the external controls to get heating on this cold night!

If anything happened to one of my customers they would be back on the phone at any time of day or night!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It's a Vaillant EcoTec pro. I didn't want to bother him over the weekend, I know what it's like to be called out when you are at home.
We will survive okay, it's not the end of the world and I have a bowls match tomorrow so that will warm me up.
Thanks again for your concern.

Terry, how do you get thanked when you wrote only only line and I dont with three lines?

Is it more is less and less is more?

I nearly told him that he could get the heating back by linking 3-4 on the PCB if as a 12 years retired he still can do that safely!

But without any thanks I am not sure that I should tell him!

Tony

Sorry Tony, I thought I had given you a thanks. I did it twice, perhaps Terry got 2 by mistake.
It's too late to be messing around with a pcb this time of night (what is a pcb, I've often wondered. Only joking) I'm not sure if my wife will let me start trying things like that.
Thanks again

My iPad needs charging up now, I've got my bed socks on and going to sleep, I hope. Thanks Tony and Terry for your replies. I will put a post on here when it is fixed.
David

Terry, how do you get thanked when you wrote only only line and I dont with three lines?

Is it more is less and less is more?

I nearly told him that he could get the heating back by linking 3-4 on the PCB if as a 12 years retired he still can do that safely!

But without any thanks I am not sure that I should tell him!

Tony

It the way I tell em :p

Tis a fickle world in the p and h forum, must toughen you up Tony. Here's a thanks from me to you to ease your sensitive soul

The heating engineer called today. When the BR1 was taken apart he found it full of dust. I have had a carpenter doing a lot of work very close to the sensor, never thought to look inside it.
Thanks Tony and Terry for all your input, I appreciate your help and banter.

Thanks to all on this thread - had a power cut and couldn't work out how to get the control talking to the wireless receiver, realised from your conversation that the stand had to come off and there were the learn and test buttons!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back