Botched Lintel - allowing Damp in Bedroom Front Wall causing Mould on Blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me?

The lintel supporting some new bricking up of window (done many years ago) is obviously too weak and causing sagging, thus allowing a gap between brickwork and plastic window frame.

The whole wall o the fron bedroom shows signs of damp ingress and the window blinds have mouldy markings.

As I cannot afford (I am a 79 year old pensioner) I was wondering if some kind of expandable filler could seal the gap, alternatively a steel insert to try the rei-inforce the weak lintel.

I will get in a tradesman to rectify, but any advice would help so I don't get ripped off!

Thank you in anticipation of any helpful suggestions.

GRBASF

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be water penetration or condensation perhaps from thermal bridging, or both.
What kind of lintel was it? Was the cross section a kind of top hat shape, or a capital I? Does the window have trickle vents or do you open it every day for a while? Is that bedroom in use for sleeping (ie breathing out rank air). Where is the radiator in that room and is it on?
Some photos outside and in would help, and any you have from during the work or before.

Post a picture from the inside and outside showing the frame and area of wall above.

Photos for info

Attachments

• DSC00316 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00316 (Copy).JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC00317 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00317 (Copy).JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC00318 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00318 (Copy).JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC00319 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00319 (Copy).JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC00320 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00320 (Copy).JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC00321 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00321 (Copy).JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 365
Sponsored Links
The radiator is on the opposite wall near the entrance to the bedroom. We keep the window open during the day, and also use a de-humidifier.

You have a condensation problem for sure. I can't see any evidence of water penetration - ie water running down the frame when it rains.

You need to throw anything mouldy away, and clean any mould from the walls and ceiling with a sterilising solution. Clean up condensation on the windows and cill morning and evening, and then read up on condensation prevention.

You can point that external crack up with silicone if you like.

Thank you"Woody" and "wannabeDIY" for your prompt and informative replies.
Judging by the water I am emptying from the De-Humidifier regularly there is a condensation and higher than acceptable Relative Humidity content in our lived in and heated bedroom. I hope the pictures helped you to see the problems I'm facing, perhaps a longer shot of the sagging lintel and brickwork would highlight the difficulty experienced with our mould growth on the widow blinds and on the wallpaper on the external wall.

Apart from silicone filler can I ask a tradesman to reinforce the brickwork (done many years ago to reduce a very large window which was unsuitable for our N.E. climate.)

Again thank you in anticipation of your further suggestions,

GRBASF

We keep the window open during the day, and also use a de-humidifier.

If you mean that the dehumidifier is running when the window is open, it will try to dehumidify the world. It will fail.

A dehumidify can dry a room if the doors and windows are shut.

If you have a domestic fan, you can angle it to blow air across the damp wall, this will help to evaporate water off it, which the dehumidifier can then remove from the air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back