Both CH and hot water system not working at all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am staying in a friend's home and she has gone away with no way to contact her for a week+, however, she seems to have "disabled" both the heating and the hot water!

Now I've put three switches back On, these are the Hot Water and I believe the Central Heating switch, both on the R of the immersion tank in these pictures, though this one on the R has “Pump” written above it - but putting them On seems to have made no difference because they have lights built-in and all three are glowing red.

I am unsure what the switch to the L of the tank is though.

I've been looking around for a gas boiler but there isn't one, though there is a gas fire (without any control knobs on the unit) which seems to point to both the central heating and the hot water supply both coming from the electricity supply.

All radiators are turned On. None are warm and the water is the taps is cold.

However, the copper pipe leading into the top of the immersion heater tank is hot.

The timer I suspect Noah would recognise, but having played with it, it does seem to be in the On position, if not, the other lights below it go Off too. I’ve fiddled with it and all seems to be working okay with this timer. The owner never used the timer as everything in On all the time, well, until she went on holiday!

Search as I can, I cannot see anything that is turned off, and the pump has definitely got electricity supply to it because it is slightly warm. There is no Off setting on the pump that I can see.

Does anyone have any bright ideas please?

Thanks in anticipation.

There are 10 images in the DropBox link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txwy9b7cfgh7w8i/AAANZOyn7b4wgAMyvYeaiKOca?dl=0

Or on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedevinecomedy

None of these images are being attached for some reason - here's the top of the tank: https://flic.kr/p/EZmhE8

EZmhE8

Sponsored Links
May be a boiler behind the fire. Pic of that would help. Got to be a boiler somewhere.

One of the switches will be for the electric immersion element that you can see at the top of the cylinder. You can probably follow the wire to see whcih switch it goes to. If that is on you will get hot water, and the fact that that pipe is hot suggests that you've already managed to do that.

Is the boiler in the loft? Go outside and see if you can see a gas flue anywhere.

Sponsored Links
the timer is a sangamo. if it does switch the boiler then click the red button at the 'ten to' position.
these timers are getting on a bit and do break mechanically. replacements are available but are expensive.

when you click it you will hear a click 'on' and a click 'off' slightly different clicks, a bit like a light pull switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back