Both my security lights need replacing - best option to get someone in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rubbish at DIY and moved into our house about 6 months ago. We own it. It's 2 Floors and I don't have a big ladder to reach up to the lights. Even if I did, I'm not sure I'd be able to reach one of the lights, and also not sure how to replace/re-wire.

I know that a decent ladder is about £150-£200. I could borrow one off a friend potentially.

I've read up that it's often water/weather damage and lights often need replacing every few years. This is not an electrical issue, it's a problem either with the bulb or the whole unit is just worn out.

Pictures below (hopefully not too big). Would you agree with what I've read in some other places that I should just get a handyman in to replace them both? I am also interested in a Ring CCTV/spotlight too so I could get that installed at the same time

Thanks

2021-12-28 20_38_46-Photo - Google Photos.png
2021-12-28 20_38_38-Photo - Google Photos.png
2021-12-28 20_38_27-Photo - Google Photos.png

Sponsored Links
As above, your lights are LED and not halogen bulbs.

If both have stopped working at the same time it may be the case that there is a fused spur in the house somewhere upstairs that has blown a fuse. Or it may be a switched fused spur and someone has flicked the switch off.

Swapping out the lights isn't difficult but do you really want to climb a ladder and drill into bricks whilst re-wiring the junction boxes?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is a few switches around the house which don't appear to do anything. Do you think it's odd that both lights have stopped working, especially as they're LED and I assume would be a bit less likely to break?

Finally, the cabling seems to go down the wall and into the lower level, so I think the switch (if that is the issue) would be downstairs somewhere. I have tried quite a few different things and none seem to do work unfortunately.

I replaced a fuse in a couple of wall switches just to see if that was the issue and no luck there.

There is a few switches around the house which don't appear to do anything. Do you think it's odd that both lights have stopped working, especially as they're LED and I assume would be a bit less likely to break?

Finally, the cabling seems to go down the wall and into the lower level, so I think the switch (if that is the issue) would be downstairs somewhere. I have tried quite a few different things and none seem to do work unfortunately.

I replaced a fuse in a couple of wall switches just to see if that was the issue and no luck there.

In the final image you can see a twin and earth cable coming out of the wall. It is the "flat" grey cable. It runs in to the Wiska (brand, junction) box. That provides the power that feeds both lights. The cable exits at the top of the house. I would imagine that any fused spur (if it exists) would be in that room.

Actually, the grey twin and earth cable seems to exit the soffit. There may be a fused spur in the loft.

At the risk of being lynched by the electricians on this forum, you could go in to the loft and use a screwdriver or volt pen that picks up inductive fields to see if there is power in the cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-AM...5CHXGE8/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B005CHXGE8&psc=1

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluke-ac-non-contact-voltage-detector-pen-1000v-ac/85949

I you do, be aware that such products will not show you if there is a break in the neutral. Additionally, the more sensitive ones may give you false positives. That said, they are non contact- meaning that you do not need to undo anything and expose any live wires.

Thanks everyone...

I traced the cable that runs down from the security box - which I thought may be the power from the lights (although I am taking note of the other replies too). The cable runs down to the kitchen and into a socket.

The socket has just a switch on and has a fuse thing in it. I have replaced that fuse with another 13A which was working but it had no effect.

There are no switches that seem to effect the outside lighting. I have NOT checked the loft yet though. I will do that tomorrow though

Thanks all for being so helpful and patient.

The cable running down from the alarm box looks like shotgun cable for the satellite dish (from image number 1 and 2). It is not a power cable. Cables for alarm boxes tend to be drilled from the inside outwards. That said, the alarm box at the back of the house is often a dummy box, the one at the front being powered. I have no idea if your images are front or back of house.

The cable running down from the alarm box looks like shotgun cable for the satellite dish (from image number 1 and 2). It is not a power cable. Cables for alarm boxes tend to be drilled from the inside outwards. That said, the alarm box at the back of the house is often a dummy box, the one at the front being powered. I have no idea if your images are front or back of house.

Oh wow, yea you may be right on the alarm box as there is one at the front actually (pics posted are in the garden/rear). I didn't even consider the back to be a dummy - i don't think it flashes a little light either so it probably is a dummy.

You're right on the cable being a Sky one. However, what you may not be able to see is that behind the drain pipe is another cable which is the one that runs into the kitchen.

Tomorrow when it's bright I'll take a few more pics and maybe a quick video just to show a bit more detail

Thanks

Cheap led floods , usually the pir fails on them (assuming they have power).

Are you trying the different switches in daylight or darkness it may be that the sensors are not switching the lights on during the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back