Blinds for large bedroom window - to block out all light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm quite sensitive to light and our new bedroom window is quite big:

2812mm wide
1125mm height

The blinds I was going to get were PerfectFit ones but they won't fit due to the dimensions. I also looked at wooden shutters too but again, too big a window.

I've settled on Venitian blackout blinds but wondered if there is a better option?

Happy to spend a decent amount on them, as long as they do a good job of blocking out light and also look semi decent.

Any thoughts on this for a larger window?

Sponsored Links
We used to have floor to ceiling, wall to wall curtains that were lined with a very heavy duty lining material. They were in our house when we moved in and must have cost a fortune. They were perfect. Never had anything as good since - we currently have Venetian blinds and curtains and they are not as good.

Sponsored Links
We used to have floor to ceiling, wall to wall curtains that were lined with a very heavy duty lining material. They were in our house when we moved in and must have cost a fortune. They were perfect. Never had anything as good since - we currently have Venetian blinds and curtains and they are not as good.

I had a pair like that in my room as a child, (parents hated me waking up in the early sunrise) never found anything as good since I've grown up and moved out.

We have lined curtains but the light comes around the edges quite a lot due to the street lights outside

The ones I mentioned above (a) overlapped where they met, (b) had a pelmet along the top - as well as swags and tails and (c) were fixed tight to the wall with heavy duty staples.

Here’s what they look like when they are closed.

278087EC-FA6B-4D5C-BDB3-1BD431221087.jpeg

Last edited:
We use roller blackout blinds , I hate the daylight.
Fades the drapes in your crypt? :)

OP - you can get blackout lining for curtains which is also good for heat and sound insulation. We have it on the living room curtains that the wife made, but you still get some light wash around the edges, so maybe a box helmet and a couple of upright strips of MDF battened to the wall (ne either side of the window reveal) would be required to fully cure it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back