Bottle Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had this fitted about 3 months ago. I was told when "Red" appears I was to turn the Black handle the other way as 2 bottles on left were empty. I forgot and after a while I noticed that I was still getting hot water. Closed the valves on the bottles on the right, and am still getting hot water from 2 bottles on left that are supposed to be empty. Don't use much hot water but what is going on?

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
That is totally normal, it is an automatic change over valve ther red indicator is to tell you that two bottles are empty, you only need to move the lever over when replacing the two empty bottles

Yes, but the problem is ....they are not empty. I am still heating water from the 2 bottles on the left

That is totally normal, it is an automatic change over valve ther red indicator is to tell you that two bottles are empty, you only need to move the lever over when replacing the two empty bottles

Ian already told you that's how it's supposed to work.

The reg will try to draw the gas from the side the arrow is pointing. If they go empty the reg switches to the other bottles internally. The lever doesn't move but the red flag goes on.

The right hand bottles are empty or turned off and the gas is coming from the left side...

Sponsored Links
I have closed off the 2 full Bottles on the right. So it is indicating that the 2 on the left are empty....they are not, I am still heating water.

The 'switching' from empty to full bottles relies on (supply) pressure difference on the input side of the regulator. How ever the output side of the regulator is controller by regulator to 37mB - to achieve that the input has to be higher than the output.
To ensure the switchover is 'seamless" to the end user the switchover probably takes place when the empty bottle side is a Bar* or so above the output pressure - so 1.037 to (say) 5.037 Bar.
A 47Kg gas cylinder (bottle) holds 92 litres so at one bar there is at least 90l of gas and could be more - say 450l.

So if you close the new cylinders you will use that remaining gas until the output regulator can no longer pass sufficient gas to burn in the boiler/furnace/fire.

*Bar - SI/Metric measurement of pressure.

So me moving the Lever has no effect?
Moving the lever selects the primary supply side of the Regulator. If you don't move the lever after the empty bottles have been changed out they will be used in preference to the 2nd set; after several times you could run out of gas completely.

Interested to note that the pigtails (input hoses) are combined into one inlet on the regulator. You need to be careful when changing bottles that you don't open the bottles until both have been changed.

Yes, the old regulator seemed to work better, but the plumber turned up with this...........
I'll keep a close eye on them...
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back