Connecting 32mm basin bottle trap to sink - Easy Question!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick easy to answer question. I'm connecting a 32mm basin bottle trap to a sink click clack waste but when I hand tighten it to the max (the max the thread on the waste allows) the bottle trap is still wobbly and not pulled tight against the metal sink waste.

Is it suppose to be tight? Or do I just throw a couple of rubber washers on to get it tight?

I've bought two bottle traps so far from different DIY places and both are the same. I'm about to turn the water on but could do without it leaking really.

Told you it was an easy question....I'm sure it should be tight!?!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply. Yeah both traps I bought have a rubber 'o' ring.

The sink waste is from bathstore (click clack - maybe crosswater?) & both traps are shallow type, one from Wickes & the other Toolstation.

It's like the thread is not long enough on the sink waste, another 1 or 2 full turns would do it.

Sponsored Links
Just took the waste off. The plastic thread bottoms out against the chrome bolt the attaches the waste to the sink from underneath.

Picture....not sure thiswill work!

typical bathstore ****e..!

ethier put some more washers on, or what i would do is cut a slither of the top of the plastic nut, to make it thinner.

ive had to do this before.

Cheers for the reply. Will try chopping the top off the bottle trap thread, getting quite handy at hacking into things after mutilating the b&q fitted units to get them in.

To be honest the rest of the bathroom bought from bathstore has gone together easy enough, including the bath waste!. Just the template to make the cutout for semi-recessed sink was wrong :eek:

as a whole theres nothing wrong with bathstore stuff, they just dont seem to give a thought to the installer.

i once had to fit a draw unit under a sink onto a soild brick wall. the draw unit and draw itself had NO allowance for the waste pipe to go through it.... which it had to..

we ended up having to chop a groove out the wall... :rolleyes:

It's like the thread is not long enough on the sink waste, another 1 or 2 full turns would do it.

The threads on some are shorter! and torture if you use a 'basin mate'

You don`t wanna be connecting a 32mm waste trap to a sink, you wanna be connecting a 40mm trap to a sink, you only wanna be connecting a 32 mm (1 inch and a quarter) to a WASHbasin, you wanna be buyin the appropriate fittings with the appropriate item, you don`t wanna be fittin british plastic sh*ite to European sanitaryware, you wanna buy the trap that comes with the sink/washbasin, that`s what you wanna do. You don`t wanna be fitting the wrong trap.32mm bottle trap to a wash hand basin, a sink trap is much more complex and not a bottle trap, only meeeeeeeeeee!!!! you don`t wanna be painting them walls marigold, you wanna do them in a misty buff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back