Connect metal waste pipe to plastic? Can it be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So i'm finally fitting the basin and matt black bottle trap, the pipe thats come with the bottle trap is a metal matt black one (32mm) https://victoriaplum.com/product/mode-spencer-wall-hung-basin-black-bottle-trap.

We've got a 32mm plastic pipe coming out the wall for the waste so my question is, how do I connect the 2 together?

Theres no thread on the metal pipe, i've tried a 32mm straight compression coupling, it fits the plastic 32mm pipe but the washers and plastic nut is far too big for the metal pipe.

Ideally I wanted the metal pipe going into the wall as theres a wall cover to cover up the hole but havnt got a clue how I'd do this.

I can actually only just push the metal 32mm pipe inside the 32mm plastic pipe and its pretty tight but how would i make this water tight?

Sponsored Links
Often pipe sizes quoted for waste pipe are what's known as nominal...ie. not the actual size.
Have a look at the McAlpine MS4 adapter...a compression elbow that would fit in the wall.

Often pipe sizes quoted for waste pipe are what's known as nominal...ie. not the actual size.
Have a look at the McAlpine MS4 adapter...a compression elbow that would fit in the wall.

I'm unable to get in the wall now to change any pipe work as its already been tiled up.

The rubber cone washer with the backing plate makes the seal as the nut is tightened.

Sponsored Links
Get on to Victoriaplum and ask them to supply a fitting to attach their product to standard waste pipe. Too many of these companies are supplying imported stuff without a thought as to how its fitted. They need as much negative feedback as possible and they may eventually start acting responsibly. I bet there isn't a single plumber or bathroom fitter who hasn't had to do some problem solving or bodging at some point to get stuff to fit.

I know of one guy who gives a 1yr lead time if the customer buys from or mentions Victoriaplum products as he just won`t touch their stuff.

I missed the bit about Victoria Plum, I used them once and will never buy anything from them again. :confused:

Connecting behind the wall should have been planned for in advance, but I suspect you know that.

I suspect that this -

https://www.bes.co.uk/32-mm-white-u...KFvuBuJ_D9XO4gAEbF9Gev3xN1cmCsTUaAjZwEALw_wcB

- will do what you need, should a standard compression coupler prove mis-sized.

I did have a look at one of these, in black. Thanks very much. I left all the behind the wall piping to the plumber and i've fitted the basin and shelf, i feel he's thought it was a standard pvc pipe and not a bottle trap.

Get on to Victoriaplum and ask them to supply a fitting to attach their product to standard waste pipe. Too many of these companies are supplying imported stuff without a thought as to how its fitted. They need as much negative feedback as possible and they may eventually start acting responsibly. I bet there isn't a single plumber or bathroom fitter who hasn't had to do some problem solving or bodging at some point to get stuff to fit.

Yes! I did think these, pretty much got the whole bathroom supplied by them and not a single piece of instructions. I've got no issue finding out info and solving the problem myself but so much of the stuff came without any fitting instructions!

Tiles can be removed (do you have any left over) and walls can be repaired if required.

I wouldn't say its as serious as to remove tiles/repair walls. The waste pipe is in the right place I just wanted to know what fitting i'd need to connect the 2 pipes. More so to make it look a bit neater

I know of one guy who gives a 1yr lead time if the customer buys from or mentions Victoriaplum products as he just won`t touch their stuff.

Haha wish i'd never read this now, only just fitted the whole bathroom out from victoriaplum...tell a lie the shower is from Drench.

Apologies, I may have presumed that you could use a solvent weld fitting, McAlpine have other compression euro adapters that may suit if solvent weld isn't an option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back