Bottle Trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've got one of these fancy glass basin thingys, looks nice. They supplied a click-clack push button waste with it.

Ordered a 32mm antivac bottle trap for it from Screwfix but it seems like the threads are different. It will start to screw up to the waste on the bottom of the bowl but then it goes very tight or will cross thread.

Anyone had the same problem or know if there are different thread types for a 32mm waste?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its already cross threaded it probably wont be any good to you now anyway. I've personally not come across a 32mm trap that doesn't fit a 32mm waste however I'm sure the more experience plumbers will correct me. A pic may help your cause here so we can see. Your waste and trap may not be lining up properly so your tightening the nut buts its not actually sealing.

thanks for the reply. I'm test fitting it all at the moment so there are no other pipes involved and I'm holding the waste and bottle trap in my hand to make sure it's all in line. I'm a mechanic by trade so I know I haven't cross threaded it. The threads are still fine on the bottle trap, I can just feel it about to cross thread if I continue to wind it on if you see what I mean?

Have you checked all round the basin waste to work out which thread point is throwing it off?

Sponsored Links
Glad you told me your a mechanic! I know what you mean when you say its about to cross thread, as mentioned above maybe the waste thread is damaged in some way? Is the thread on the Waste tapered in any way?

On the other hand if, by luck, you have another basin somewhere with the same size waste, you could check on this to ascertain whether its the trap or the waste.

Over the years I have come across a few of these click clack wastes which only have about 3-4 threads and so will not tighten the trap neck against the waste.
They are usually from Bath store.
Is there enough thread to make a tight connection?

Pete

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions will try and answer all below :D

I can tighten it up but the pipe going to the bottle trap isn't sitting flush against the bottom of the waste so I can predict that leaking like a sieve!

Compared the click-clack waste i've got to another 'standard' waste fitting from B&Q..... the threads are a different pitch! Basically the threads on the one I have are closer together than the B&Q one which is obviously why it keeps going to cross thread or goes very tight if I can manage to get it on straight.

The thread on the click-clack waste isn't tapered, it's the same diameter all the way up.

Any suggestions as to where I can get a waste trap to fit these tighter pitched threads or any suggestions on how to get around this?

:LOL:

maybe easier to change the waste rather than the trap.
as it seems to be the waste with the odd thread.

Yep it certainly seems that the waste is the problem. I read somewhere else that there are some of these being sent out with european threads on them. I'm guessing that's what this one is.

I'll get a UK one if there's no workaround - don't want to bodge so I guess that's probably the best option.

Hi all

I ordered another one from another company which arrived today.... it's the same bloody thread! :evil:

There's got to be something I'm missing here - could it be possible that only the chrome bottle traps fit these fancy push button waste fittings? The plastic traps certainly don't fit.

Thanks

could you not take it to a shop and try a chrome bottle trap.

i have had chrome bottle traps that won't fit certain wastes and ended up fitting a plastic trap where they have beening in a vanity unit.

Hi

my luck no one round here has the chrome ones in stock.... have just ordered one from Homebase. Let's hope it fits!

Why dont you ask the supplier of the waste fitting, if they do a trap or addaptor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back