Bottled gas heater suddenly changed it behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a portable bottled gas heater that still works correctly on its first heat setting, but the second panel, when requested flutters with a wave of flame, goes out then repeats, the third panel behaves correctly when full heat is demanded. Is it likely to be a simple fix? something that needs cleaning, or is it a big deal to fix?
currently sticking to the low setting when it is needed but curious about what has gone wrong.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the fire needs a good service ASAP. Please be very careful using these portable gas appliances, they can be extremely dangerous, especially when they aren't working properly. Essential to always have a working CO detector in the same room and ensure ventilation is adequate.

I'd recommend stop using it till it can be looked at.

We have a CO detector in the house, and I wont be using the second and third panels till I can get it sorted, but curious as to why the unit was fine one day, but the next it was doing this. it was in the house because of my boiler woes with the vaillant combi, and one day it was good, the next day it did this when we turned it up first thing in the morning.

Sometimes it can just be dust or a restriction that it's picked up from the environment restricting the gas flow, it happens but it needs an LPG bod to strip and service it.

Sponsored Links
The symptoms you describe could be one or more of the following
1) Low gas in cylinder
2) regulator faulty, limiting the amount of gas at the correct pressure through
3) control tap faulty again limiting gas
4) Gas jet(s) blocked or corroded
5) insects or spider web in mixer tube

I'd suggest a big Sledge Hammer applied firmly to the gas heater! Dreadful devices, make houses damp - for every KG of gas burnt over a Litre of water in vapour form is produced, let alone the CO/CO2 produced as products of combustion.

Well it is not the regulator as it works just fine on level 1 and 3, it is only the level 2 panel at fault.
The cylinder is still quite full.
I suspect 5 is the likely culprit.
Until I get the vaillant fixed. I need to keep using this, so currently unable to take it for a service, but will stick to initial panel 1 heat only for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back