Bottom stair riser creaking and floating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just had a nice new laminate floor laid in my hallway and now the small creak from the first step has changed to a big creak and more movement about 5mm when stepped on.
Unfortunately for me there is no easy access from under neath as instead of plasterboard, there is a wooden strip over a wood panel on the underside of the stairs, then a vertical tongue and groove piece behind the first riser. Very involved to remove!
I can get behind the first step as the newel post is fitted to the second stair leaving an angled edge.

How can I support the first riser to stop movement and noise?
Would it work to insert a suitable thickness strip under the riser from behind, then poly glue in place?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately to do an effective repair job on a closed riser stair you need access to the underside of the treads. I think you'll have to bite the bullet on this one. At least you'll understand why the Victorians often just had plastered under drawings

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
OP,
you say, the creaking only bigged up after the laminate installation which would imply the laminate is the major factor with the creaking?
a movement of 5mm is significant - if the 5mm is entirely new then i'd suspect that you've done something to the joinery at, or surrounding, the first step.

can you post photo's?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back