creaking stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The stairs (bottom winder) in my house creak a lot and wondered if there was anything I could do to strengthen them.

A little more info - The house is a terraced house, which had 2 reception rooms, and the stairs going up inbetween them. 20 years ago it was changed to 1 room, and the brick walls either side of the stairs were removed (i guess this supported them).

On inspection it looks like they are expanding in the middle which means there is a gap between the string and the tread&riser.

Could I insert some 3x2 timber and screw these in from the outside of the strings to help keep it all together?

Sponsored Links
Can you easily get to the underside of the staircase? If so you should be able to see if the treads and risers are tightened with wedges. if so then the wedges can be used to re tighten the staircase thus reducing or eliminating the creaking.

Can you easily get to the underside of the staircase? If so you should be able to see if the treads and risers are tightened with wedges. if so then the wedges can be used to re tighten the staircase thus reducing or eliminating the creaking.

yes I can get to the underside.

where can I get more wedges from?

It maybe just the case of knocking the wedges already there further in of if you require new ones I would find out where a local manufacturer of stairs was and purchase them from them. You should find a joiners shop nearby that would accomodate your needs.

Sponsored Links
It maybe just the case of knocking the wedges already there further in of if you require new ones I would find out where a local manufacturer of stairs was and purchase them from them. You should find a joiners shop nearby that would accomodate your needs.

would my idea of screw timber in help as well to stop it spreading any further?

By adding extra timber may inadvertantly add to your creaking problem, I would try adjusting the wedges in the first instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back