Creaking Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of renovating a 1930's house and the stairs creak. There are some visible gaps where the riser meets the tread which is presumably where the creaking is coming from.

I understand the best way of resolving creaking stairs depends on the type of construction of the stairs so I've posted a couple of pictures.

Any advice appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
As above give the wedges a tap to see if loose. Also I notice there doesn't appear to be any glue blocks. They are simply approximately 40 x 40 triangle 100mm long to fix simply put glue on the square edges and from underneath the stair at the corner of the tread and riser give the glued, glue block a rub. The glue on the block will cause a suction and help to keep it in place while the glue sets. You want 3 glue blocks on each step. Before gluing the blocks check that they are a good fit in the corner of the step and adjust the fit if necessary. After you you have done don't use the stair for approximately 12 hours so the glue gets time to set. It's most likely that the riser is going up and down on the groove in the tread which it fits into. By placing the glue blocks it should hopefully eliminate the squeak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back