Creaking stairs - with photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finally getting round to trying to sort my creaking stairs problem - more like a crunch than a creak :mad: The house is only 8 years old.

The bottom six stairs from the hallway aren't too bad - 4 of these I can't really get to from below anyway as they are behind the main electric meters in an understairs cupboard in the kitchen.

By removing the plasterboard in the downstairs toilet I have accessed the worst three steps that come straight off the top landing - [the six steps from the top landing turn immediately on themselves as they go down to meet the bottom six which are straight steps].

By removing two plasterboard panels in the understair cupboard I can access the remaining turns and the first couple of straight bottom steps.

Having read numerous posts on the possible causes and remedies I had hoped to find that several of the horizontal/vertical wedges had come loose - only one was :(

Photos

The very 1st stair from the top landing has one split block - every other stair looks to be in good nick as do the wedges.

It also has a strange looking wedge which can be moved a full inch left or right - and I need advice on what this is actually there for. [pictures 3.7 & 8]

There is certainly movement when the stairs are walked on - I had my missus walking up and down for ages last night as I followed her footsteps on each stair.

Apart from the physical movement and creaking noises, I couldn't see any play in any of the blocks or wedges as she walked on the individual stairs :(

I will also be taking up the carpets to give me access from the top but don't expect that to show up much - I was banking on problems being apparent/obvious from below.

I wil post pictures tonight from inside the understair cupboard - but initial inspection is similar to the others - wedges and blocks intact.

Other than removing the old blocks and putting on dozens of new ones [as well as trying to fill in between the treads/risers with wood glue] - what else do you guys recommend?

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back