Split step on staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old house and the stairs would creak a little (nothing unusual there), however, i've recently removed the carpets and one of the steps has a crack in the wood running from side to side of the step. It flexes a little when walking on it. Am i right in assuming the step cannot be removed as its joined to the sides of the staircase or can it be knocked off and replaced? I don't have access to underneath the stairs as its been boarded off and plastered in the understairs cupboard.

The step thats split is in about the right position where a child would jump to from the top step so this was probably the cause as the previous home owners had several chldren.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mark :)

Sponsored Links
as you cannot gain access to the underside then i think you are going to struggle to do a proper repair.
could you not cut the plaster board underneath where the step is and glue a cleat(piece of board)to the under side of the step?.

in defo no,then maybe you could squeeze some grip fil into the split?.

Thanks for the reply :)

The rest of the house needs replastering and thats being done room by room so i suppose knocking another hole in some plaster won't hurt! lol!!

As i've never done this before, what is the best way to repair the step from underneath? A piece of timber cut to size and screwed up to the cracked step? Or can i remove and replace the step with access from under the stairs?!

Many thanks,
Mark :)

you should find some glue blocks underneath which may hinder the repair?
but if it was mine i would cut some ply to fit under,glue it in and screw it from above into the ply.

Sponsored Links
Why bother even trying to repair the crack. We have an old (1920s) stair which has had a tread-crack right across for years with no problem. You would not be able to replace it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back