laying underlay and floor - 3 queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some (all?!!) might sound daft questions but here goes!

This weekend I'll be laying a laminate floor ('click together type') floor, and as this is going on a concrete subfloor I've got underlay with damproof built in. Silver foil type with a thin rubber underlay attached. area is about 5m x 2.5m hall.

1) Am I better laying the underlay at 90 degrees to the flooring? I am just thinking that I lay the underlay long ways the same as the floor, if a join in the underlay coincides with a joint in the flooring runningthe whole lengthit might be a potential weakness? Whereas as cross ways less chance of this? Is it relevent?

2) I'm also going to form a mat well, guess I will need to frame it in wood rather than just stop the flooring as appropriate? I've a profile to go between floor and mat.

3) The stairs go up out of the hall against 1 wall and are not boxed in underneath, i.e. there's just a bottom step on the floor, no understairs cupboard. So I will be laying underneath the stairs and then cutting around the stair, which has a round side to the edge of the step sticking into the hall if you follow. Flooring run will be at 90 degrees to the step tread. Stairs are going to remain carpeted. What is the best way to cover the joint between stair and floor, especially on that rounded end. One suggestion was carpet on step could cover, another is that some plastic profile can be bent if warmed? Not really happy with either of those suggestions.

Rod

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back